Back to 1974 index or Main Index

Makan No. 214
Mar/April, 1974


Subscription Rate: $1.50 per Year

Registered for Posting as Periodical: Category A




As I write the date on the attached cheque (15/2/74) my mind wanders back to that day, 32 years ago, when we sat in utter bewilderment in our slitties outside Tyersall Palace, savouring the utter silence, rendered more so by the occasional rifle shot, which followed the days of bombardment. It was a day of contrast - of noise and quiet, of war and "peace", of freedom and imprisonment, of ugliness and beauty - yes, even beauty.

Do you remember when we passed out of the chaos which was Singapore, with its corpse-choked canals, its smoke and stench, the tangle of trolley wires and the wreckage of buildings; how marching to Changi in the evening, we passed a spot where, in lovely silence, millions of fireflies were blinking on and off like Christmas Tree lights? It was, for some, the last beauty they beheld.

In the long run, perhaps one of the most significant events in the ensuing 3 years was that day when we sat down and formed the 2/30 Bn. A.I.F. Association.

I think back over the 213 issues of MAKAN I have read since - The early days - Bill has a son, Tom a daughter. Twenty five years later - Bill and Tom have entered the Grandpa Stakes. And now Bill has joined the ever growing list under "Last Post" and has swelled the ranks of the 394 we left behind in Malaya.

Morbid thought? Maybe, but those 32 years have contained, in our small group, the whole spectrum of human emotion and experience - joy and sorrow, degradation and nobility, poverty and wealth - and even if we have never met the members of the group since, the reading of MAKAN keeps their names, and these experiences and emotions, ever fresh in our minds.

Because of this, I personally would like to thank you, Phil, and the small group of people, including people like Bessie Ellis and others who were not physically "there", but who have done so much for the Association, and for those of us who live so far from Sydney. The continual issue of MAKAN over all the years is surely a record of which you can be proud.

Col Tuckfield
KENMORE. Q., 15/2/1974


The meeting will be held this year on 18th April at 8 p.m. at the Combined Services R.S.L. Club, 5 Barrack Street, Sydney. As usual, the necessary arrangements have been made for those wishing to dine at the Club at 6.00 p.m., prior to the meeting; while those who wish to, may gather in the Barrack Bar from 5.30 p.m, onwards.

In order to comply with Licensing Laws, and to save time with registration when you arrive, will those who will be attending the Barrack Bar, for the meal, or for the meeting only, or for all three, please 'phone Bruce Ford up to the morning of 18th April, and let him know your intention re attendance. Bruce will then be able to register you, and you will only require to give your name and Bn. reference to the doorman upon arrival, and proceed straight on. However, should you turn up without having 'phoned, give your name and Bn. and ask the doorman for either Jack Black or Bruce Ford.

A Supplement is enclosed with this MAKAN which contains Notice of the Meeting, the Annual Report and Financial Statements; and is in handy form to bring to the Meeting with you. Attendances have not been very good over the last few years, and the Executive would like to see many more of our members exhibiting an interest in the affairs of the Association by turning up at the Annual General Meeting and expressing their opinion on what has been done by the Executive during the past year, together with suggestions for operations during the current year. The Executive would certainly appreciate evidence of this nature of good practical support of their efforts.

How about making a note in your Diary, your Fixtures Book, or on the Kitchen Calendar to ensure that you will attend at the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING on 18th APRIL


Last year we mustered 115 at the Rallying Point for the March, and we would like to see even more this year. Although nothing has yet been published, arrangements are sure to be somewhat similar to last year, and it is assumed that we will again gather in Macquarie Street, in the vicinity of the Registrar General's Department, from 9.30 a.m. onwards. Although we do not, as a rule, move off for at least an hour after that time, it presents an excellent opportunity for a chat with our mates, many of whom we only seem to see at gatherings on Anzac Day.

Noel Johnston will lead the Battalion and Reg Napper will carry the Banner. To the best of our knowledge, Reg is the only member of the Battalion still actively serving in the Army, and it will be recalled that his sterling efforts during his service have earned him an MBE and an EM with three clasps. It is hoped that we are fortunate enough to have the St. Mary's District Band again conveniently placed, as their good music and Reg's bearing and elastic step should add the incentive for us all to straighten those bent backs and lift those chins just a little higher on the March.

We have again managed to reserve the Upstairs Lounge at the Forbes Tavern, corner of King and York Streets, for our usual Get-together after the March (from 12 noon onwards). Last year we were delighted to have several members of the original 30th Battalion (W.W. 1) join us at the Tavern, but they advised us that this year they are meeting for luncheon after the March so will not be able to join us. We will miss them, and their tall stories, which even capped ours.


We have been advised that Harry Abrahams, Eric Arps, Bruce Ford and Sammy Hall will be making the trip this year, and they would like to have a few more, especially from nearby Country areas, join them and our resident Curator of our Cairn, Bruce Pratt, particularly for the afternoon Service at our Cairn.

To attend at all or any of the events at, Bathurst on Anzac Day is a most rewarding experience, and one which is recommended to all who can possibly make the trip. As might naturally be expected, the climax of the day for our members is the 3 p.m. service at our Cairn, opposite the entrance gates to the old camp site. Would anyone who can make the trip, and who desires accommodation to be arranged for him, please give Bruce Ford a ring (Business: 25-6741, Home: 50-8936) by 15th April, and Bruce will attend to the booking.


Anzac. Part of our heritage, part of our history.
Conceived and born of the shores of Gallipoli,
Baptised in our Country's sweat and blood,
On Flanders Fields of slush and mud.

Nursed and nourished by the brave and the proud,
But soundly denounced by critics who shout aloud.
They say Anzac Day is a fallacy and a farce,
A charade of old men and women living in the past
Their ceremony of pomp and pageantry means nought.
Why glorify the dead, and the battles they fought?
But these critics could not know what life might have been,
Were it not for the fallen, and the past battle scene.

They did not sweat and bleed
In the darkest hours of our Country's need.
Nor did they know the horror and sacrifice
When our freedom was bought with the highest price.
We too were Australia's youth
When we defeated a lie and defended the truth.
Now we are stooped, old and grey;
But ever proud and erect on Anzac Day.

Yes, in the dawn's first light,
when night's shadows flee and hide,
We'll stand before the Cenotaph
with all our dignity and pride.
We'll give thanks to the Lord and the Fallen
for deliverance from War,
And we'll pray for the guidance of our youth,
and for Peace evermore.

TED RICKARDS. (Mungindi, 1971)


What with floods, and this and that, our F.N.C. Correspondent had a bit of difficulty in getting the report away, but we finally received it in time to include it in this issue. It reads:

At our Reunion on 16th February, we had a good attendance of about 130.

The wreath-laying Service was conducted by Archdeacon J.V.J. Robinson, who always comes out of retirement to take this Service, then joins with us all at the Dinner.

This year, for the first time, some of the chaps took their over 18 sons and daughters along, and our usual 2/30 Bn. gang were pleased to welcome Don and Monica Schumacher (D Coy), who made the trip from Newcastle. Others present included Dada and Mary Olley (D Coy), Harry and Flo Teasdale (D Coy), Russ and Marcia Mackie (HQ Coy), Arty and Nancy Power (D Coy), Bill and Flo Sorenson (D Coy). Here, I must pause to state that, contrary to his usual form, Bill was the perfect gentleman at this Dinner. He declared he wouldn't start his meal until Grace was said - but it wasn't. So everyone had hot food, and Bill's was slightly cooler. To continue; Harry and Dot Riches (HQ Coy), Ron Sweeney (C Coy) - Gwen was unable to make it - Jim and Frances Small (C Coy), Bob and Shirley Robinson (B Coy), Joe and Sybil Johnston (D Coy), Marty and Betty Wallwork (HQ Coy) - Marty did receive his pension following his application and medical board review - Tommy and Norma Grant (C Coy), Keith McFarlane (A Coy), and Jack Korn (A Coy). Eva Standing was also there, with her two daughters, Lorna and Joy, and later in the evening, elder son, Kevin, and his wife Betty also joined the party.

As usual, arrangements were excellent, and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

(With 36 of our members, wives and next-of-kin there, we must surely have had the largest Unit Group attendance. This is an excellent show to attend to catch up with the F.N.C. gang. - Ed.)


Jack Maclay and Kevin Ward have arranged another Bowls Afternoon, to be held at:

RYDALMERE CENTRAL BOWLING CLUB on SUNDAY, 5th MAY next Commencing at 1.30p.m.

For those desiring it, luncheon may be obtained at the Club from 12 noon. Will all those wishing to attend please give Kevin a ring (if during business hours, Dorothy will take the message) and let him have particulars.

Jack and Kevin have also conferred with the Bankstown R.S.L. Bowling Club and have reached agreement on the basic form and style of the "B.J. Memorial Trophy" which we are to present to that Club. In a desire to express the fellowship which exists between the Club and ourselves, the motif on the Trophy will probably incorporate clasped hands in friendship.

Bankstown have set SUNDAY 20th OCTOBER next as the date for the first competition for the trophy between teams from that Club and the Association. Present indications are that non-playing members of the Battalion, wives and a few friends will be welcome, and Bankstown will entertain with a High Tea. The actual trophy will be presented to the Club on that date and the name of the winning Club/Association will be announced for inscription on the space reserved on the trophy for that purpose.

All of which means that we will require to field several teams of fours, comprising our best players, on that date, and if the occasion follows the pattern of the last time we gathered at Bankstown, it is sure to be another memorable and most happy occasion. More details and precise information will follow in subsequent MAKANS, but it is desirable to reserve the date. NOW.


Kevin Ward reports the position as at 22nd March:

In Other Institutions:
Harry Law (A Coy)

Discharged from R.G.H., Concord since last MAKAN:
Jack Boss (HQ Coy), Joe Noble (B Coy), Phil Paget (B Coy).

Discharged from Lewisham Hospital since last MAKAN:
Joe" Geoghegan (HQ Coy)


We have been advised by Colonel J. S. Haynes, Assistant Defence Adviser to the Australian High Commissioner in Singapore that the two bronze plaques were presented by him to the Gaol Authorities on 14th February last. He enclosed some photos of the actual presentation, taken by their official photographer, and mentioned that the Gaol Authorities had informed him that they were considering a re-grouping of the plaques in the Memorial Chapel so that all those emanating from Australian Sources would be together. Colonel Haynes had not been informed of any precise date when this would be done.

We are given to understand that the Gaol Authorities often refuse to allow the casual visitor to enter the Gaol, and the Chapel; but there are ways and means of obtaining permission. As we would like to have first hand information of the actual re-grouping, would any of our members, who contemplate visiting Singapore in the near future, please get in touch with the Editor, prior to leaving on the visit, so that arrangements may be made for them to visit the Chapel on our behalf.


Note the date and reserve it so that you will be sure to attend. Further details will follow in subsequent issues of MAKAN.


While the response to the Circulars, generally speaking, has been good, approximately 13% of the members have not heeded the plea, and their Subs for 1974 are still outstanding.

This causes us considerable embarrassment, as it renders us unable to comply with P.M.G. Regulations; and makes us liable to have cancelled our Registration for Posting as a Periodical at a very much reduced rate of Postage.

Further reminders are forwarded with this MAKAN to those concerned, and they are asked to give the matter their urgent attention.

While such a step is naturally regretted, failure to respond promptly will have to be taken as an indication that the member concerned no longer desires to receive MAKAN, and our membership and circulation figures will have to be adjusted and reduced accordingly. This is a drastic step, which will cause further embarrassment and concern. PLEASE ACT NOW.


DANIEL FORAN (C Coy). He died suddenly at Cairns on 23rd January last, from a heart attack, at the age of 55 years. Danny had not been well for some considerable time past, his various complaints having caused his retirement from active work some three years ago, but there had not been any mention of a heart condition. He had apparently gone for a walk on that fateful day, and collapsed and died in the street.

Danny joined C Coy at the Causeway and was quickly assimilated into the Company. During P.O.W. days, he did his stint on "F" Force on the Railway, where he suffered rather more than the usual illnesses and his indifferent health following his return to Changi kept him off further work parties until just prior to the end of hostilities, when he was on a tunnelling party on Singapore Island.

Following his return to Australia, we were out of touch with Danny for some considerable time - he freely admitted to being a poor letter writer - but we subsequently learned from his old C Company mate, Jack Burke, that Danny had settled in his old home Town, Mackay, Q. Correspondence with Danny produced the information that he had not married and had been working at various jobs until his indifferent health caused him to seek very light work in Mackay. On his Doctor's advice, he moved to Cairns a couple of years ago, where he was forced to live very quietly.

We are indebted to Cairns, Q, R.S.L. for their care of Danny, and to their Secretary, Dick Penny, who wrote:- "Dan had been here a few years, having come from Mackay. He was a good little bloke and always behaved well. Very quiet of nature, he never complained and kept himself clean and decent; and he deserved more than he ever received, Repat wise. Occasionally he had a few drinks, but never any trouble."

"Dan was given a "send-off" in keeping with his service, the coffin being flag-draped with a Digger's hat, belt and bayonet thereon. His funeral was attended by his few mates and friends. The R.S.L. Requiem at the graveside was read and delivered by Lieut. Col. Sam Davis MC, who spoke of Dan's service etc. His next-of-kin is a brother in Brisbane and he has some in-law relatives in the Mackay area, but none of the foregoing was able to attend his funeral.

To his surviving brother and relatives we extend our deepest sympathy. We are most grateful to Cairns R.S.L. for their arrangements, and to Mackay R.S.L. (where Danny had been a member for years) for their assistance with the cost of the funeral.

HARRY HEAD (B Coy). He died at R.G.H., Concord on 20th February last after an illness extending over some months, at the age of 58 years. Harry had suffered a heart attack some two years ago, from which he recovered satisfactorily, but was ordered into Concord some months ago for D. & R. on suspect cancer of the lung. Although the subsequent operation was thought at first to have been successful it proved not to be the case, nor did many subsequent operations have any beneficial effect.

An original member of B Coy, Harry commanded 12 Platoon and showed his courage and stamina in the hand-to-hand fighting which followed. the blowing of the Bridge at Gemencheh ambush. During that action he was wounded in the thigh, firstly by the sword of a Japanese Officer, and subsequently in the thigh and leg by a grenade. But he carried on, with the help of a Platoon Sergeant; and on the subsequent withdrawal, when the Company was accidentally split in two, he led the larger portion of the Company through the jungle, throughout most of the night, until his wounds finally caused him to become a stretcher case.

During P.O.W. days he recovered from his wounds sufficiently to be included in the infamous "F" Force on the Railway, and on his return to Changi in due course was in common with all other Officers, segregated from the troops, in the Officers' Lines.

Following his return to Australia at the end of the War, Harry decided not to continue with his former occupation as a Bank Officer; and he conducted a Newsagency Business at Eastwood for some time. He subsequently relinquished this business and following clerical positions with a B.M.C. Dealer at Auburn, and with B.P. Australia, he joined the Staff of the Repatriation Department some nine years ago. He held the position of Assistant to the Deputy Commissioner at the time of his recent fatal illness. He also served on the Central Executive of the Association, and was a Committeeman at the time of his death.

Always a forthright man, who did things as he thought they should be done rather than by the book, and one who voiced his opinions in commanding terms, he demonstrated and proved his qualities of leadership and courage both in Action and during the period of his recent fatal illness which he bore with a stoicism and fortitude which most of us would like to be able to emulate. Rather typical of the man we knew: At Gemencheh on the afternoon when the Japanese advance was expected, he decided to have a rest; composed himself on the ground and said to his batman; "Wake me when the Japs arrive."

Yet, like most men who truly exhibit those strong characteristics, he possessed, and often exhibited to his friends, a compassion, an understanding, and at times a sentimental trait which was almost surprising. It was Harry who introduced to the Association the placing of a sprig of rosemary on the casket of a departed comrade as our symbol of remembrance, rather than follow what he described as something that had tended to become a mere ritual - the placing of a poppy. He was also a sympathetic and steadfast friend to many.

At his Cremation at the Northern Suburbs Crematorium on 22nd February, the Service was conducted by an old friend of the family, Padre Terry O'Brien, and we were represented by 36 members of the Battalion (including our Patron and President and Bruce Greer, who made the trip down from Ballina) and they were joined by Lady Galleghan, Chub Ramsay, Janet Johnston and Billie Greer. An equally large contingent represented Repatriation Department (including the Deputy Commissioner, Mr. Bruce Auld), Combined Services R.S.L. and Club and Chatswood R.S.L.

To his children, Maureen, Jock and Julie, his sisters, Mrs. Una Warlow and Betty, and their husbands, wife and families, we extend our deepest sympathy.

We were also saddened to learn of the sudden death on 23rd January last, at the age of 46 years, of Althea Mary Fraser, widow of E.K. "Curley" Fraser (B Coy) who was killed in a tractor accident some four years ago. Althea was travelling by train to Kempsey to visit her married son Robert when she suffered an immediately fatal heart attack.

Following the death of Curley, as well as managing their property at Old Bonalbo, Althea played a big part in Civic affairs. She was Secretary of the Bonalbo A.& I. Society and President of the Ladies' R.S.L. Auxiliary. She was also a Trustee of the Louisa Johnston Special School and an active member of the committee. In the past, Althea served the P. and C. Association faithfully, filling the position of Treasurer for many years; and she also re-formed a Brownie Pack in the area, acting as Brown Owl for a long period.

To her daughter, Nancy and son, Robert and his wife Barbara, we extend our deepest sympathy.

We were also saddened to learn of the death, on 15th October last of Jennifer Pope, at the age of 70 years, widow of Jack Pope (C Coy) who died on 5th December, 1966.

Jennifer had not been particularly well of late, necessitating visits to R.G.H., Concord and the Grace Building, but she appeared to be able to bear her afflictions cheerfully and was a regular attendee at all our various functions. We are advised that Jennifer had been talking on the 'phone with a friend who did not feel satisfied that Jennifer was as fit as she said she was. The friend accordingly requested her husband to call on Jennifer and make sure that she was alright; but when he arrived at her home he found that Jennifer had obviously suffered an immediately fatal heart attack.

We are distressed that our advice of Jennifer's passing, and the tragic circumstances surrounding it should have been delayed so long, but the information has only recently been made known to us.

To son, John, his wife Dulcie and their children we extend our deepest sympathy.

We were also saddened to learn of the death, on 10th February last, at the age of 79 of Lorrie Albert Stuckey after a fairly lengthy illness. Lorrie had suffered from Leukaemia for a lengthy period, and subsequently from an inoperable cancer, but he bore those afflictions with the stoicism typical of the old Digger and very few would have been aware of his condition. One consolation was that he passed away peacefully - in his sleep.

Lorrie was President of the Sydney Branch of the original 30th Battalion Association and Patron of their Newcastle Branch, and we were privileged to have him and several other members of  the Battalion join us at the Forbes Tavern after the March on last Anzac. Day. Lorrie remained actively engaged in business up to the time of his hospitalisation in October last, and was often heard to remark that he was far too busy to consider taking a holiday.

To his daughters Judy and Anne, his sisters Dot and Linda and brother Frederick and their families, we extend our deepest sympathy.

We were also saddened to learn of the death on 14th March last, of Edith Vanessa Polain, wife of Padre George Polain.

Although Padre of 2/26 Bn., George, in common with all Padres, belonged to us all; and he was a close friend and adviser to many members of the Battalion - particularly since his retirement from the active Ministry, when he has officiated at funerals and other ceremonies.

To George, son John and their family we extend our deepest sympathy.



Due to advancing years, worsening eyesight and possibly a spot of laziness and the sheer delight of having someone else do the work, your Editor has engaged the services of a Typist. He did this with some apprehension, as he freely acknowledges to being a bit of a fuss-pot, and Typists have every right to be just as temperamental as he is, but it would appear that besides being a good Typist, Chris is also a bit of a fuss-pot; as evidenced by her work in cutting the stencils for the Annual Report, and in doing the whole of the typing for this issue of MAKAN.

It is to be hoped that your Editor can contain himself within reasonable bounds so that the present association may long continue.

Under the title "A REAL SCOUT'S HONOUR" the "Northern District Times" of 27/2/1974 carried the photo of a well known Battalion identity and the following interesting article:

The Scouting movement has done something to Alex Dandie without his knowledge or permission - but one doubts that Alex minds too much.

Scouting headquarters decided that Alex is worth more than just a pat on the back and a handshake.

When Alex woke up the other morning he found he had received one of Scouting's highest awards, the Medal of Merit.

Alex of Hall Street, West Ryde is a training scouter for the district.

Alex began his career as a scouter in 1937 with a break covering the War and a year or two's spell until 1953.

In that year, scouting needed Alex's organising ability and he was back in the thick of things again.

"I told them I would do the organising if someone else did the hard yakka," he said this week.

Alex has great faith in the ability of Scouting to continue - to advance and pace it with the changes in youth's outlook.

"This was proved in the Adelaide Jamboree when those in charge arranged some activities which took the scouts outside the perimeter of the camp," Alex said last week.

"The idea was a success despite what some of the older heads thought," he added.

(Congratulations, Alex, on a job well done, and in keeping with your efforts on behalf of the boys in the Kobe House Camp in Japan, and since your return. - Ed.)

Mention of Kobe House calls to mind that when Karl Sinclair (D Coy) sent in his Subs from Armidale promptly after receipt of the Circular, he mentioned some items of. interest to that close knit Kobe House gang:- Laurie Smith passed away recently he was only in his early 50's. Karl recently had a 'phone call from Keith Hooper, now Minister for Transport in Queensland, who advised that Dr. Clive Boyce was very thin, but well, and sent his regards to all the boys.

Incidentally, Karl has caused us very much concern of late by suffering another stroke, which has left him largely paralysed. At 70, Karl is no chicken and a repetition of this sort of thing is not easy to take, but last reports were that the indomitable Sinclair spirit was still keeping him going.

Another of the 'not so youngs', George Stephenson (HQ Coy), sent in his Subs from Mollymook and had some nice things to say concerning MAKAN.

George mentioned that though he is keeping pretty well and can still manage a bit of golf and bowls, Flo has not enjoyed the best of health over the last twelve months. George expected to visit Sydney early in the New Year for a Tribunal hearing on a pension claim, but as he might not have much available time to contact any of the lads, he suggested that anyone proceeding down the Princes Highway only has a half-mile diversion, to the Mollymook Golf Club where, if George isn't there, an enquiry will direct the visitor to George's house, close by in Mitchell Parade.

Vernon Baynes (D Coy) rounded off a remittance with a donation, but was very brief with his Seasonal Greetings and the advice that he was recovering from a mild coronary, which had him on a strict intake and diet.

Don Schumacher (D Coy) also added a donation, but told us nothing about himself. He did mention that he had been working on Ray Godbolt's (D Coy) car so that Ray could have a trouble-free trip to Port Augusta in February.

Even though brief, the previous donors were a bit better than Johnnie Parsons (C Coy) and Joe Roxburgh (BHQ), both of whom added donations to their remittances and merely included Seasonal Greetings.

When Ken Crispin (BHQ) rang up early in December to advise that the P.M.G. had at last done the right thing and had hooked up a 'phone for him, he didn't need any prodding to advise that he and Joan entered the Grandpa Stakes towards the end of last September when son Bill and wife Pauline, who live in Townsville, Q., produced a grand-daughter, Abby.

This lack of prodding was also evident when Ron Sweeney (C Coy) 'phoned, on his way through Sydney, to advise a change of address. He and Gwen also joined the Grandpa Stakes, round about last June, when their second daughter presented them with a grand-daughter.

Quite naturally, Elsie had to send in Ernie Willis' (HQ Coy) Subs, actually from Inverell where she was baby-sitting with their grand-daughter, following the arrival of a further granddaughter on Christmas Day. She reckoned that Ernie, batching back in Parkes, might easily be bonzer and sick on Boxing Day following the wetting of the new arrival's head. Their eldest son was marrying in January last, so Ernie and Elsie stand a reasonable chance, in due course, of further entries in the Grandpa Stakes.

Quietly building up their tally in the Grandpa Stakes are Ted and Edna Skuse (A Coy) - Lynne and Paul produced Jason on 7th Dec. last - a brother for Gordon and David.

Despite his poor-quality neck, which seems to necessitate the wearing of that cage quite frequently, Ted appears to be keeping fairly well, but Edna had a bad spell recently, requiring hospitalisation in Taree. That gave Ted a chance to have a night out at Taree R.S.L. with Paddles Clune and Eric Arps (both A Coy) and Harry Griffis and Bill Newton (both D Coy).

Bruce Greer (HQ Coy) sent in enough Subs from Ballina to keep him out of trouble for a few years and advised that he and Billie had had a somewhat hectic visit to Sydney just prior to Christmas to attend the wedding of son Ross and wave good-bye as Ross and new wife Linda set off on an Overseas trip. To add to the pleasure of their visit, Evan and Liz produced an entry in the Grandpa Stakes with grand-daughter Christina. All in all the Greer's appear to be enjoying life in Ballina, and to be keeping pretty fit.

Dot sent in Phil Paget's (B Coy) Subs, also in quantity, to keep him from falling behind for a few years, and advised that she and Phil are keeping well and are starting to get those itchy feet again; having set their sights on another World trip in the near future. Phil's blood pressure plays up upon occasions, but he appears to have recovered satisfactorily from that heart attack which sent him home from Malaya when they were on a trip a couple of years ago.

Des Kearney (B Coy) dashed off a cheque, of sufficient magnitude to keep him in our Advance Subs position for a few years, and sent it in with the news that he is keeping very fit, doing a lot of swimming and sailing - he often has Nugent Geikie (B Coy) and Ron Eaton (BHQ) in the crew. He also often sees Dinny Garland (B Coy) at the Yacht Club. Des recently had lunch with Jim Cooper (HQ Coy), who was well, and happy to have shed the burden of Chairman of the Sydney Stock Exchange, while Garry Evans (A Coy) was looking as cheerful as ever when he last saw him in David Jones,

Des wondered whether Ward Booth's (D Coy) new Prince - Philip - was as black, and can play the ukulele and sing like the Black Prince (Des) who used to perform with Ward at all the Battalion Do's. (This refers to Ward's recent taking over of Duke of Edinburgh Award duties from Sir Adrian Curlewis - Ed.)

Lyn and Betty Booth (A Coy) expected to add to their tally in the Grandpa Stakes in January last, when their daughter, who lives in Cairns, anticipated producing grandchild No. 2. Lyn's job as a Commissioner with the Arbitration and Conciliation Commission takes him all over the joint, including Interstate, and one of his regrets is that he doesn't get enough time at any of his places of call to look up any of the boys who happen to live there. Lyn and Betty are keeping well.

Charlie Brouff (BHQ) sent in his Subs from Eden, and reckons he has had a rather satisfying year, with one daughter, a trained nurse, getting married and the younger one just finished her training. To cap it all, the eldest in the family, his son, is a very successful fisherman and spends most of his time at Port Lincoln, S.A. Charlie must be keeping well, as he didn't say anything to the contrary.

Jack Grossmith (HQ Coy) responded to the Circular from Woy Woy and was pretty brief, though he did mention that Woy Woy was in the grip of the Developer and was rapidly becoming a kerb and gutter, suburbanised area; which didn't please him overmuch. He still reckons it is a nice spot for a visit and he and Hilda would welcome any visitors - even with a drop of the doings.

Laurie Mountford (BHQ) sent along the necessary from Leeton and regretted that he appears to be the only one from the Battalion in his neck of the woods, and he seems to miss out on seeing the Narrandera boys on the rare occasions when he visits there. He and his wife are keeping well.

In common with lots of the Secretary/Wives, Dorothy Hemming had to send in Les' (HQ Coy) Subs from Yagoona and mentioned that though she and Les were keeping reasonably well, they had had a bit of a worrying time with Les' mother, who had broken her hip and had to spend ten weeks in hospital.

Dorothy also advised that following the mention in MAKAN, some time ago, of her unsuccessful attempts to obtain a copy of "Galleghan's Greyhounds," Mrs. Helen Bell, of Tamworth, had very kindly heeded her plea and had sent Les her copy of the Battalion History. This was indeed a most generous gesture and very much appreciated by the Hemming's.

Althea Southwell also had to send in Subs for Les (A Coy) from Bateman's Bay and advised that they were both well, and that Les was now Bowls Secretary of the local Bowling Club.

Apparently even keener than the Peregrinating Paget's, the Sauntering Southwell's recently had another trip around the World, travelling this time by plane, so that they could spend more time looking at the sights.

Ray Body (HQ Coy) got an idea that he had better be in a Subs in Advance position, so he did just that; and when writing in from Raymond Terrace he mentioned that Dick Fisher (A Coy) from Lemon Tree Passage has not been the best of late and though Ray had not seen Arthur Purdon (BHQ) of Tenambit he understood that Arthur was O.K., and rather busy with a family business.

Ray had some nice things to say about MAKAN and also advised that he and Florence were O.K.

Geoff Alcock (B Coy) sent in his Subs from Thornleigh and heeding the Editor's plea on the Circular, used up the back of it to bring us up to date with the family news.

Since he didn't make any mention of either himself or Val, it can only be supposed that both are well, but he did advise us that eldest daughter, Ruth, is married and is living at present at Oenpelli via Darwin, where her husband is a motor mechanic on an Aboriginal Buffalo Station. Ruth is teaching in the School where she has a class made up of 3rd, 4th and 6th grades; and she shares a classroom with a male teacher taking 5th grade. (Not the sort of thing our Teacher's Federation would appreciate - Ed.)

Another daughter is still having a working holiday in New Zealand, while the youngest daughter is in 6th Class Primary, and has been elected girl School Captain for 1974.

Elder son is married, and is doing a Pathology Technician's Course, while the younger son is a Trainee Draughtsman.

Jack Goodwin (HQ Coy) has not been exactly 100% of late, which has prevented him from attending any of our functions; while his wife also recently had a spell in St. Vincent's Hospital.

However, they were both cheered up by the arrival of their married daughter, plus son-in-law, and the Goodwin entries in the Grandpa Stakes - two grand-daughters (1 and 3) - who were down from P.N.G. on three months holidays. The son-in-law is a Patrol Officer in the West Sepik District.

Bert Hodge (A Coy) is another of those who hasn't been too good of late. When sending his Subs in from Gilgandra, Bert indicated that he was still going - but only just, as his heart has been playing up; and he doesn't get around much these days. He occasionally sees Stuart Robertson (A Coy) who lives at nearby Tooraweenah.

When sending in his Subs from Umina Beach, Andy Hyslop (BHQ) couldn't resist a brief mention of his achievements on the Bowling Green. At Everglades Country Club (Central Coast District), Andy has been runner-up in the Minor Singles, a runner-up in the Club Triples and a winner in the Club Fours. He was also selected in the Pennant Team for 1974. It would appear that those B.J. Bowls received in the ballot have spurred him on, and he will surely be a candidate for one of our Teams to play Bankstown R.S.L. on 20th October next.

Tom Nixon (HQ Coy) merely advised that youngest daughter, Dianne was then (mid December) touring Singapore, Malaya and Thailand with other University students; and Tom had asked her to bring back a Chunkel, for old times sake. He didn't mention his success at bowls with his Club - Coogee/Randwick R.S.L.

However, Clarrie Burgess (A Coy), who never has time to do more than scribble a couple of words, excelled himself when sending us his Subs. Clarrie is a member of the same Club as Tom, and he advised that Tom was in the Team that won the Fours at the Club, which Clarrie says was not bad for a one-eyed bloke. (Your Editor agrees and would like to know how long it takes to learn to focus and judge distances with one eye. When the question was put to another 'one eye' of some years standing, Squire O' Donnell (C Coy), in typical O'Donnell fashion, he replied:- "Never! I used to find myself tipping whisky over the hand that held the glass. I got tired of licking my hand, so I fixed it. I jam the neck of the bottle into the glass. You break a few glasses - but ....")

Jacko Jackson (B Coy) rather favours Golf, and somewhat justifiably, couldn't help mentioning that he had managed to get into B Grade at Castle Cove last year, and he proceeded to win the B Grade Championship - much to the delight of fellow member, Ron Johnston (C Coy) who had backed him for a tidy sum to win the event. Jacko proceeded with his winning streak in the next monthly medal, shot a 69 and found himself back in A Grade.

Incidentally, Jacko was also promoted to o/i/c Tea and Coffee making at last Gemas Day at Pymble, and he did an equally good job on that occasion.

Bob Morrison (D Coy) seems to have recovered from his heart attack of a few years back, but he reckoned that 40 years in a Bank was long enough, so he retired from Manager of the Gordon Branch of the A.N.Z Bank last August and, like most of us who retire, wonders how he ever had the time to go to work.

Enid and Bob are keeping well and naturally spend a lot of time with their two entries in the Grandpa Stakes. At the risk of inflation forcing the price up, Bob bunged in sufficient with his note to cover him for the next five years.

Ray Streatfeild (B Coy) and Ron Ollis (HQ Coy) each bunged in enough to keep them going even longer than Bob, but were obviously too busy to do more than add their Seasonal Greetings.

Mike Garrard (D Coy), on the other hand, did dig the thumb nail a little deeper into the tar pot and advise that he had had an excellent Christmas, though as Postmaster at Kingscliff, he is kept particularly busy as the place is growing in popularity at a tremendous pace.

Then we had George Aspinall, Jack Greenwood and Bob Howells (all HQ Coy), Ray Ferry, and Don (Sgt) Garner (both B Coy) and Reg Napper (D Coy), all of whom sent in enough to place them in an Advance position, but without any news whatever - an Editor's life is not a happy one.

Eva Standing (widow of Ted - HQ Coy- who died on the Railway, at Kanburi No. 2 on 7/2/44) has also joined the 'naughty but nice Club' by sending in a donation to help MAKAN along. We really do not expect donations from the widows of our mates, but must admit that expressions of appreciation of receipt of MAKAN, augmented by generosity of this nature, are a source of extreme pleasure to your Editor.

Eva had a spell of indifferent health over the last few months, which rather restricted her ability to get around, but she has improved of late, and was able to attend the Reunion Dinner at Lismore on 16th February last.

Her family of two sons and two daughters (all born before Ted sailed for Overseas) are all married, and they have produced 16 grandchildren; which puts Eva well in the running in the Grandma Stakes. Incidentally, her eldest daughter, Lorna, is herself a widow, with four young children.

Your Editor caught up with Stan and Dorothy Arneil (A Coy) at a social engagement a few weeks back, and had no difficulty in prising out of them the fact that they have celebrated their Silver Wedding Anniversary, and that Anne (21) got her B.A. Degree last year and has become engaged to a Doctor. They contemplate marriage this year - probably in August.

Son, Paul (17) is also doing well in the scholastic field. He is Captain of St. Augustine's, Brookvale, where he is also Head Chorister and Captain of the Swimming Team.

Stan is still tied up with Credit Union work and has produced some further books on the subject. Probably his most satisfying literary effort of recent times, however, is his condensed biography of B.J., which he has produced for the Readers' Digest "Unforgettable" Series, which should be published shortly.

Without the Secretary/Wives, it would appear that we would not be able to keep most of our members financial. Subs were received from the following:- Nancy Hart, for Jim (BHQ), Heather McClelland, for Max (HQ Coy), Marcia Mackie, for Russ (HQ Coy), Thelma Gibbs, for Bob (A Coy), Norma Veivers, for Joe (A Coy), Ruth Mulholland, for Keith (D Coy), Phyllis Stuart, for Lloyd (D Coy) and Jessie Pickard for Darcy (B Coy).

Although all of these normally have a bit of news to add to the remittance, they were all obviously busy and could only add Seasonal Greetings and an occasional reference to their letter writing-shy husbands. (Thanks anyway, Girls. Your men are at least financial, and since you didn't say otherwise, it is assumed that you are all enjoying reasonably good health. - Ed.)

On the other hand, Nancy Power got tired of sending in Artie's (D Coy) Subs from Kyogle each year, so she sent in enough to cover him for five years; then fined him for not writing himself, and doubled up the cheque with a donation of a like sum.

Although both Artie and Nancy are keeping reasonably well, they have had a very harrowing time over the last six to eight months, with severe illness of their parents. After a lengthy illness, Nancy's father died, and this completely broke up her mother, who now needs special care and attention. At the same time, Artie's mother also needs similar treatment, due to some trouble with her hip.

To Nancy we offer our deepest sympathy in the loss of her father, and hope that both mothers show a vast improvement in the very near future.

And there we must end, for the time being, as even with help with the typing, a twenty-four page paper is just about all the Editor can manage. More in two months time.


Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting of Members of 2/30 Bn. A.I.F. Association will be held in the Meeting Room, Second Floor, Combined Services R.S.L. Club, 5 Barrack Street, SYDNEY on Thursday, 18th April, 1974, at 8 O'clock p.m.


1. Apologies.
2. Confirmation of Minutes of last Annual General Meeting. Matters arising therefrom.
3. Annual Report and Financial Statements.
4. Election of Office Bearers for ensuing twelve months. 5. Appointment of Honorary Auditor/s.
6: Appointment of Honorary Legal Officer.
7. Appointment of Official Representatives for Bathurst.
8. Any other business which may properly be brought forward.

Dated at Sydney this 28thh day of March, 1973.

By order of the Central Executive

Bruce Ford

We have pleasure in presenting the Annual Report for 1973.

Your Executive have met regularly each two months and members have maintained a very good attendance record, except for unavoidable illness and transfers in their jobs, which precluded some attendances towards the end of the Year.


Annual General Meeting.

Our Annual General Meeting was held on 13th April last, with a rather poor attendance, when the number of members residing in the Metropolitan Area is taken into consideration.

Such was the apparent confidence by members, that all Office Bearers and the Committee of the Executive were re-elected to their respective offices unopposed, and the Report and Financial Statements were received without dissent.

No contentious matters were raised, and unanimous approval was given to the conferring of Honorary Life Membership on our Patron, together with a further Motion declaring our support of the R.S.L. Campaign to preserve our present National Flag forever, the retention of our present National Anthem for use on all Occasions when Royalty or their Representatives are present and the adoption of "Advance Australia Fair" as our National Anthem.

Anzac Day, Sydney

Good weather greeted the 115 ex-members of the Battalion who participated in the March, led by Noel Johnston, with Stan Arneil carrying the Banner. Once more, we had the St. Mary's District Band a few yards in front of us, and marching to their good rhythm was again a pleasure.

At the Forbes Tavern, after the March, we were joined by nine ex-members of the original 30th Bn. (W.W.1), and aided by copious supplies of liquid refreshment and sandwiches, which were provided by Betty and Harry Collins, we spent a most enjoyable afternoon.

Anzac Day, Bathurst

Harry Head and John Kreckler represented us on this occasion and, as usual, they paid tribute to the excellence of arrangements by Bathurst R.S.L. through their President, John Manuel, and Secretary/Manager of the Club, Col. Watson, and their team.

Our Representatives attended the various events during the day, and were particularly impressed by the Service at our Cairn in the afternoon. At the conclusion of this Service, the opportunity was taken to present our Trophy to the most improved Junior Member of the Band.

Annual Reunion Dinner

76 members attended the Dinner, which was held at R.A.N. House, Sydney, on 17th November last. Catering and liquid refreshment arrangements were excellent, but the presence of a cabaret style gathering in the adjoining courtyard and room detracted from the enjoyment of the evening, and we are endeavouring to find a more suitable venue for next dinner.

Visitors from Country Areas included Col O'Donnell from Dalveen Q., Jack Collins from Grafton, Frank Webb from Griffith, Jack Clune from Taree, Sid Stephens from Maitland, Jack Fell from Cessnock and Wally Scott and Con Hedwards from the Illawarra.

The Toast, of the Evening, "The Regiment" was handled most capably by Col O'Donnell, with the response by our Patron.

Reunions in Country Areas

Ex-P.O.W. Association Reunion Dinner at Ballina was held on 11th August last, and amongst the 70 who attended there were 16 members and wives from our Battalion. Once again, Len Clavan, Snowy Hampton and Norm Watkins were on the organising committee and a most enjoyable evening resulted from the committee's arrangements.

Ex-P.O.W. Association Reunion Dinner at Wauchope was held on 19th August last, and amongst the 130 who attended there were 14 members and wives from our Battalion, all of whom thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The organisers advise that these reunions rotate between Kempsey, Wauchope, Port Macquarie and Taree, and are held each year round about mid-August. Taree is the venue for 1974.

Northern Rivers Branch Ex-P.O.W. Association Reunion Dinner at Grafton was held on 17th November last, and amongst the 95 who attended there were 16 members and wives from our Battalion.

The fact that John Korsch is President of the Branch, with Harry Rhodes as Honorary Secretary, may have had some bearing on the excellence of arrangements for a most enjoyable evening.

Purple and Gold Club Christmas Party was organised by the stalwart of the Club, Mrs. Marguerite Jenkins, and was held at the Indian Tea Centre on 6th December last. Unfortunately, Mrs. Jenkins was unable to attend, through illness, but she had still managed to make her usual gift of a coat hanger for each of the 16 ladies who attended the pleasant function.

Gemas Day Commemoration was held on 13th January last at the Memorial at Pymble HQ of 17 R.N.S.W.R. 38 members of the Battalion and approximately 70 Next-of-Kin, wives, children and their friends gathered for the simple but impressive Ceremony and the excellent Family afternoon tea and get-together which followed.

During the course of the afternoon, an opportunity was taken to present to Lady Galleghan a portrait of B.J., which the Executive had commissioned at the same time as the one which is to be hung in his memory, as a token of our esteem and in appreciation of her continuing and sincere interest in our affairs.

We are indeed indebted to 17 R.N.S.W.R. for their whole-hearted cooperation in setting up the Memorial, and in making possible this annual event.

Battalion Bowls Afternoons have been held on two occasions during the Year, and have been organised by Jack Maclay and Kevin Ward. On 20th May last, a small group met at Rydalmere Central Bowling Club, and on 21st October, 10 members of the Battalion gathered with approximately 40 members, wives and friends at the Bankstown R.S.L. Bowling Club, where a very happy afternoon was spent.

Largely arising through the good fellowship extended by that Club, it has been decided to establish with them a "B.J. Memorial" Bowls Trophy for annual competition between the Club and the Association.

B.J.'s Bowls. Lady Galleghan presented the Association with two sets of bowls, formerly used by B.J. Applications were called for the allocation of a set, and the subsequent ballot resulted in the set bearing the 2/30 Bn. Colour Patch going to Kevin Ward and the set bearing the 8th Div Insignia going to Andy Hyslop.

B.J. Memorials. It was decided to perpetuate the memory of our first C.O. and Patron by the erection of a bronze plaque in the Changi Gaol Memorial Chapel, the hanging of a portrait of him in a suitable public location, and the establishment of a bowls trophy with the Bankstown R.S.L. Club.

Largely through the good offices of Steve Allardice, who was visiting Singapore and sought the advice and assistance of the staff at the office of the High Commissioner in Singapore, we have obtained a suitable bronze plaque which was forwarded to the High Commissioner's Office, from whence it was officially presented to the Superintendent of the Gaol by the Assistant Defence Adviser to the High Commissioner, Colonel Haynes.

An excellent portrait of B.J. has been obtained, but our efforts to find a suitable location in which to hang it have not met with success to date. Efforts in that regard will continue.

The Memorial Bowls trophy is presently the subject of negotiation with the Bankstown R.S.L. Club as to the form it will take and conditions governing the competition involved. Finality, and the first match for the trophy, are anticipated by late October, 1974.

Battalion Memorial. It was also decided to erect a further bronze plaque in the Changi Gaol Memorial Chapel, at the same time as the Memorial to B.J., commemorating the 394 members of the Battalion who died Overseas.

This plaque has been obtained, and was forwarded with the B.J. Memorial Plaque. It has since been officially presented to the Gaol authorities, along with the B.J. plaque; and both have been suitably mounted in the Chapel.

Area Representatives. In order to ensure that the Association was adequately and officially represented in areas outside the Sydney Metropolitan Area, 30 Area Representatives have been appointed in New South Wales and Interstate.

Our main concern was that we should have official representation at funerals and other events occurring, and that the widows and families of our deceased mates should receive advice and assistance with any problems. Towards that end, a short form of Service has been formulated for use at funerals, in conjunction with any R.S.L. Service, together with notes for guidance on procedure to be followed, particularly in regard to assistance to the widow.

While it is acknowledged that this is something which might have been done many years ago, reports from Country Centres have confirmed that individual members have in fact attended to these matters; and our appointments have really only created an official representative in the area.


Kevin Ward and his Team have maintained regular visiting at the R.G.H., Concord, Lady Davidson and other Hospitals where we have knowledge of our member in residence. During the Year the Team have made contact with 30 at the R.G.H., 1 at Lady Davidson and 3 at other Hospitals - slightly less in numbers than for last Year.

The R.G.H. at Concord have extended their visiting hours. In lieu of the former specified times for certain afternoons and evenings, visiting hours are now set at from 2.30 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. for each day of the week. Visitors may of course be interrupted during those hours by the nursing staff requiring to perform form certain duties, and for meals etc.


It is with the utmost regret that we record the passing of the following members and Next-of-Kin during the Year:

Thomas Lionel Dare (C Coy)
Alan Albert Thorncraft (HQ Coy)
Alfred Weeber (A Coy)
Clarence William Wood (C Coy)
John William Bremner (HQ Coy)
Wallace Speare Bell (A Coy)
Allan John Andrew (B Coy)
Edward Everett Hawley (HQ Coy)
Mrs. Hazel Duprez
Mrs. Linda Ryan
Ronald Kentwell (C Coy)
Mrs. Althea Fraser
Thomas Apps (HQ Coy)
Harry Head (B Coy)

To their widows and families we extend our deepest sympathy.



Deaths, and the failure of 11 members to renew their Subscriptions for 1973, have reduced our financial membership by 11, to 347, at the end of 1973. Deaths were also responsible for a rise of 7, to 77, in the Next-of-Kin with whom we are in touch; despite the loss of three in this category through their deaths.

We are aware of many ex-members of the Battalion who have not maintained membership of the Association, and repeated efforts to have them join up have not met with overmuch success to date. In view of the advancing years since our return from the War, it would appear that we must accept the inevitable decline in membership figures which is likely to occur from now on.


Financial Statements are submitted by the Honorary Treasurer for your consideration, and are recommended for your approval.

The Honorary Treasurer reports:

For ease of reference, the Statement of Receipts and Payments for the twelve months to 31st December, 1973 is furnished with comparative figures and movement in relation to last Year.

Despite a reduction of $175 in Fees and Subscriptions and $174 in Sundry Donations, together with extraordinary expenditure of $200 for portraits and a total of $88 for an Addressing Machine and Stencils, an increase of $131 in Interest Received, together with a reduction of $91 in the Cost of Production and Postage of MAKAN has assisted in an overall increase of $375 in our balance at the Bank, as compared with 31st December, 1972.

A most generous gift of $2,000 was received from Lady Galleghan "as a living memorial to B.J.", and at her suggestion, the funds are held for the benefit of members, for use as the Executive may direct. The funds were invested in a further Treasury Bond of $2,000, and this is reflected in the increase in Accumulated Funds; where the Surplus at the end of the Year showed an increase of $2,193.

During the Year the Commonwealth Government increased substantially the rates payable on Special Series Bonds. We have taken advantage of this by withdrawing our previous holding, which was bearing interest at 5% to 6% and re-investing the funds in the new Series 2C at an interest rate of 8%,which rises slightly as the years progress. Added to the $2,000 mentioned above, our holding in Special Series Bonds, maturing in 1980, now stands at $5,000.

Due to the rather large amount of $601 held in Subscriptions in Advance, a further decline is anticipated during 1974 in receipts from Members' Fees and Subscriptions, and the Editor of MAKAN has advised the likelihood of increased costs in the printing and postage of our Journal. Apart from increases in the price of materials and postage, due to his worsening eyesight (and failing a volunteer to do the job) it is quite likely that professional services will require to be engaged for the typing of the copy and the cutting of the stencils. The only known items of extraordinary expenditure which will occur

during 1974 are approximately $200 for the bronze plaques for the Changi Gaol and say, $100 for the Memorial Bowls trophy; and these, together with the items mentioned previously, are safely covered by funds already in hand.

No further expenditure, of any magnitude is envisaged for any items of an unusual nature, and it is felt that there are no other matters of importance which require to be brought to your notice.


Six issues were produced during the Year, averaging 24 pages per issue, plus a Special Edition of 8 pages for Gemas Day and circulated within the Metropolitan and nearby Country Areas. In addition, Supplements were included with several issues, consisting of 12 pages for the Annual General Meeting, 8 pages for a re-print of Dr. Hinder's Letter re Repatriation Claims and 32 pages for a re-print of the alphabetical and geographical List of Members and Next-of-Kin. Regular Reports and Financial Statements have been produced for each Executive Meeting, together with Circulars to members and notes for the guidance of Area Representatives. All have been produced on the Gestetner, and a high standard of production has been maintained. In order to enable all members to gain an accurate impression of the Memorial Plaques, and with the assistance of Mr. Frank Andrews (of the Arnott's Biscuits Organisation) who produced it, an excellent reproduction of a photo of the two plaques was able to be included as a centre-fold in the Jan/Feb 1974 issue of MAKAN.

In accordance with the resolution supporting the R.S.L. campaign concerning the Flag and the National Anthem, several Editorials have appeared on the subject, together with slogans on the inside covers; and car-stickers concerning our Flag, which were obtained from the R.S.L., were forwarded with the May/Jun 1973 issue. Articles considered of interest to members as well as reports on events and, more importantly, news of members have also been included in each issue.

Although he complains at times of lack of support and that he is running out of ideas for items of interest, the Editor appears to have managed to maintain a reasonably good standard of production, and to have kept the News Columns going. He wishes to thank all those who have contributed items, particularly the unpaid Secretary/Wives, without whose help, he declares, he would have found it difficult to carry on. He also wishes to express his gratitude for the invaluable assistance afforded him by Les Hall, who frequently receives mention in MAKAN under various lengthy and uncomplimentary titles - a recent addition being that of Printing Supervisor, as Les can actually see, and can correct the position when the printing deteriorates from black to a light grey. Without his help, the Editor affirms that he would not have been able to continue to produce MAKAN and the various other items.

The Editor also wishes to express on behalf of the Association appreciation of the generous endowment by Dr. John Sands and Mrs. Geoffrey Lamble, in memory of their late father and brother, of provision of the Covers for MAKAN - a further supply of which was received during the Year.


We would find it difficult to carry on without the understanding and help of our Good Ladies, and our special thanks are accorded to them and, in particular, to Betty Collins and Dorothy Ward for the excellent services rendered by them.

Our thanks and appreciation are also extended to Dr. John Sands and Mrs. Geoffrey Lamble for their endowment of the MAKAN Covers, Bruce Pratt and his family for their care of our Bathurst Cairn, Mr. Frank Andrews for producing the centre-fold of the plaques, Duesbury, Johnston & Marks, Bathurst Sub-Branch R.S.L. and Club, 17 R.N.S.W.R., and the many others who continue to show a warm-hearted interest in our well being.

Bruce Ford

Arch Thorburn

Back to 1974 index or Main Index