Back to 1973 index or Main Index

Makan No. 210
Sept/Oct, 1973


Subscription Rate: $1.50 per Year

Registered for Posting as Periodical: Category A




Unless a lot of our Readers have sent their material direct to the Mitchell Library, there does not appear to have been much response to the request contained in last issue of MAKAN for any items deemed of interest in the life of B.J. to be sent in for storing at the Library, who will make them available for future use by a biographer. The contributions by two Readers, received by the Chief Correspondent, have been sent on to the Library; but we can surely do much better than that.

Efforts by your Executive appear to be making some progress. After many months when we appeared at times to be making no headway, we have now made first base and we are moving towards the completion of the run, in the matter of erection of a Memorial Plaque in the Changi Gaol Memorial Chapel. We have at last received approval in principle to the erection of a plaque and it now only remains to tidy up the details, when we should be able to proceed with the manufacture of the plaque and its erection.

In this regard, we have in mind a plaque carrying a reproduction (in colour) of the Battalion Colour Patch and commemorating the deaths of the 394 members of the Battalion who died Overseas, in addition to B.J., who will be recorded as our Battalion Commander as well as Commander A.I.F., P.O.W. in Malaya.

Firmly determined that B.J.'s portrait will be hung in a suitable location, the Executive have ordered a portrait of him in Brigadier's uniform, and it should be completed within a month or two.

Our Ambassadors in Canberra have advised that from their enquiries it would appear that the Trustees of the National War Memorial have so many articles for display, particularly portraits, that they are almost embarrassed; and they find it necessary to rotate them. As this could possibly mean that any portrait we supplied could be hung for a short period and then revert to the storeroom for an indefinite period, we do not regard the National War Memorial as entirely suitable for our purpose. Unless some satisfactory arrangement can be concluded whereby the portrait could be hung permanently, we will set our sights on some other location of National interest, such as the Mitchell Library.

After all, B.J. was a great Australian and his War service undoubtedly allowed expression of his sterling qualities, which brought him into prominence and stamped him as a great soldier. But he was also born and bred in New South Wales, where his Peace time activities also gained him prominence and stamped him as a great citizen. We would be quite happy to have him recognised amongst the famous and worthy sons of New South Wales. You may rest assured that the efforts of your Executive in this matter will be resolved in a manner satisfactory to all.


We could hardly find a better location than that which we have enjoyed for the past two years, and the Dinner will be held this year:

ON SATURDAY, 17th NOVEMBER at 6.30 p.m. for 7.00 p.m. meal
32 Grosvenor St., SYDNEY.
ADMISSION PRICE: $5.00 per head.

As Bob has to supply the Club with a reasonable estimate of attendances by the end of this month, please use the prepared Form of Acceptance, fill it in, and send it with $5.00 to Bob Jack forthwith.

PLEASE NOTE that as Postage and other costs are prohibitive, NO FURTHER CIRCULARS OR REMINDERS will be sent; so please record the time, date and place in your Diary, or on the Kitchen calendar, and use the attached form immediately, if not sooner. (Please see Page 23 for the Form)



The following details are advised by the organisers:

DATE: Sunday, 21st October, 1973.
TIME: Games to commence at 1.30 p.m.
LOCATION OF CLUB: From the City and North: Out the Liverpool Road/ Hume Highway, and a little over half a mile past the end of the Chullora Workshop complex, turn left at Chapel Rd.- at lights. Go past the school and Technical College and turn right into French Avenue, then promptly left into Kitchener Pde.

PHONES: Jack Maclay or Kevin Ward

GENERAL : Bankstown R.S.L. Club have gone out of their way to make their facilities available, even to the point of advising that they will make rinks available to accommodate our players. The game to be played will be fours or triples, according to the attendance.

We would accordingly like to see a good roll up, but as it is important that Kevin (our liaison with the Bankstown Club) is able to give the Club a reliable estimate of numbers, will all those who will be attending please give either Jack Maclay or Kevin Ward (Dorothy will take the message during business hours) a prompt 'phone call, and advise their intention.

Bankstown have also extended their invitation to non-bowling, members and wives to come along and join our bowlers for afternoon tea.

Lady Galleghan will be in attendance to observe the recipients of the B.J. Bowls making good use of them, and the organisers would like to see a good attendance of spectators to help make the afternoon a success. Those who will be attending, please also ring Jack or Kevin promptly, and let them know of your intention.



Because of the numerous additions and alterations to the original List, which was published twelve months ago, and the feeling that many of you may not have made the amendments to your copy (published from time to time in MAKAN) an up-to-date List has been produced, and is enclosed with this issue.

Any amendments will be advised from time to time and it will be essential to effect them if it is desired to preserve an up-to-date List, as it is most unlikely that any re-publication will occur within the next few years.

Apart from the work involved (and in the present instance the assistance of the office boy/galley slave/assistant printer etc was invaluable) a major deterrent is the cost of postage.

Our present Federal Government has been most insistent that Industry should not increase prices as a result of conversion to the metric system, but that apparently does not apply to their own services. Postal charges convert to Metric on 1st October and for some unaccountable reason, the P.M.G.'s interpretation allows for only 20 gm in lieu of the first ounce (28.3 gm) though he does relent a little and allow 50 gm in lieu of the former two ounces (56.6 gm). However, where bulk postage of Category A periodicals was formerly at the rate of 70 per 12 oz (340 gm), it will be 7 per 300 gm or 10.6 oz - we will have to try to post this issue before 1st Oct.

These increases may not sound very much, but the size (and the weight) of MAKAN is such that individual 28 page issues, formerly posted for 70, will now cost 120.

Overall, postage on this issue (plus the List Supplement) will only rise a little over 50% on what it would have been prior to converting to Metric, but we have been further warned that concessions under Category A are to be withdrawn. When that occurs, the size of issues will have to be restricted (to possibly a maximum of 24 pages) as postage can increase by up to 700%, i.e., it will cost 8 times as much to post an issue of 28 pages

(MAKAN and Supplement) as it does to post a similar size now.

All of which means that your Editor's efforts in obtaining registration under Category A have been of immense benefit to us over the past 16 months, but the benefits will cease when the new regulations are promulgated. Supplements (Particularly of the size of the present one) will have to cease, and the number of pages of each issue will have to be restricted. Though it may possibly reduce the volume of his work, your Editor finds no satisfaction in that.


MAKAN has been, and must always remain, non-political and non-sectarian, but there is surely no valid reason why its columns should be prevented from making comment on matters which affect our Heritage and our Tradition, even though they have a certain political flavour. At least, that is the opinion of your Editor, and he will certainly have something to say on such matters while ever he sits in the Editor's chair.

Unfortunately, your Editor can only read the ordinary print in a newspaper with extreme difficulty, and with the aid of a magnifying glass, so it only recently came to his knowledge that the University of Western Australia Branch of the A.L P. submitted a motion to the recent Conference of the Federal Executive of the A.L.P., at Surfers Paradise, that ANZAC DAY BE ABOLISHED. Fortunately, the saner elements of the Conference amended the proposal, but it was eventually submitted as a recommendation that the Prime Minister, Mr. Whitlam, examine the possibility of declaring a National Day of Peace - whether instead of Anzac Day or as an additional Day has not been clearly stated; but whatever the outcome, the mere suggestion of abolishing our Anzac Day must surely strike a note of warning to us all. May be the declaration of an additional Day of Peace wouldn't be such a bad idea if the militants who suggested it really observed it and gave us some Peace in Industry and peace from the continual sniping at our traditions.

It appears obvious that the extreme Socialist Left Wing of the A.L.P. and the Communist elements intend to do their utmost to influence our present Federal Government to sweep aside those of our traditions which most of us held very dear to our hearts, and it is up to us to make sure that this is not done. Your cooperation was sought in the matters of our National Flag and Anthem and it is further sought for the retention of Anzac Day, should any decision be made adversely affecting it.

Many of us possibly have our own thoughts on what Anzac Day means to us personally, and it was refreshing to read of those of Kathryn Bice, a Casino Teenager, who won the R.S.L. 1973 Anzac Essay competition, in which Kathleen O'Rourke of Narrandera (daughter of Terry and Muriel) received "Highly Commended" for her entry. Kathryn said, inter alia.:

"It is almost impossible to explain Anzac Day and the feelings it arouses to a foreigner. Gallipoli wasn't a glorious victory. How can a defeat be the occasion for a National Day, they ask? What they do not understand is that what we are celebrating is not the success or failure of a military campaign. We celebrate the attributes of the men who fought as Anzacs in the mud of France, the deserts of Africa and the jungles of Asia. Wherever in the World an Australian may be on April 25, he feels a surge of national pride in the memory of these men."

"The mysterious nebulous quality we call Anzac is a blend of fact, folklore AND tradition. We can dissect each part of it, but we can never capture it. For Anzac is the spirit that unites all Australians and pervades the culture of our people”.

If it can mean that much to our children, surely it is worthy of the stiffest opposition to any attempt to abolish it.


Our Far North Coast Correspondent has been good enough to send in a report of the event:

Our Dinner at Ballina was held on 11th August., and was a great success. This year, for the first time, we had a wreath-laying Service, which was held at 5.30 p.m. in front of the Ballina Council Chambers, at the War Memorial.

Two wreaths were placed on the Memorial. The Rev. Bill Doak (C. of E.) conducted a brief service, after which Len Clavan recited the Ode. This did add a little more meaning to our Dinner, and our thoughts were with Bernice Kentwell who had that day suffered the loss of Ron (Popeye) who died at Lismore Hospital. From there, we returned to the Ballina R.S.L. Club for light refreshments, and then our Dinner.

Once again, the arrangements were in the capable hands of Len Clavan, Noel. (Snowy) Hampton, Normie Watkins and of course Sid Jameson. These chaps do a wonderful job in as much as they only hear about the 16 to 18 who intend to arrive, but they always have plenty of food for the 60 to 70 who actually attend.

I'm not sure if our organisers slipped back to the tropics or not, but the hall was tastefully decorated with coconut palms, with coconuts hanging from the top, plus a little monkey.

The food, as usual, was delicious and the liquid supplies, seemed to come from a never-ending source.

During the official part of the evening, Joe Johnston extended a welcome to all present and Bruce Greer did the toast to Fallen Comrades.

Unfortunately this year our colleagues from Grafton were absent as was Big Harry Riches and Dot. Harry is in Glen Innes (not taming the shrew, but taming the bulls ready for sale). Tommy and Norma Grant were not down from Murwillumbah. Tom is back at work and is coming along nicely after his illness. Marty and Betty Wallwork and Alfie Carroll were also amongst the apologies, but we hope they are all well.

Our usual crowd of boys were there: Bruce (Wakey Wakey) Greer, minus Billie who was absent sick, Bob and Shirley Robinson, Noel and Kathy Hampton, Bill and Flo Sorenson, Arty and Nancy Power (plus Helen and John - the Powers eldest daughter and husband) Len and Wyn Clavan, Normie and Raema Watkins (Raema was only out of Hospital a few days), Jack Korn and Joe and Sybil Johnston. This year our ranks were swelled by the presence of Sandy May and his wife. Sandy is a brother of Len May (HQ Coy, who died of cholera at Kuie) and Fred May (C Coy), who died on the ship which was torpedoed on the way to Japan.

Some of the other well-known regulars also present were: Wal and Joyce Buckley, Arthur Jux, from Lismore P.O.W. Association, President Jim and Vi Crawford, 2/20 Bn. also Lismore, Ron Christensen and wife and of course Sid Jameson (Sid's wife was also ill)

Bill Sorenson sat and acted like a gentleman until just on midnight, when he returned from dancing and promptly wiped the sweat from his brow on a pair of lady's white gloves - he always wanted to know why women carried white gloves.


Our Hunter Valley Correspondent, Jack Fell, sent in a report:

Vera and I left home shortly after 9.00 a.m. on Saturday, 19th August, to attend the Reunion at Wauchope. We made a short detour at Purfleet, up Old Bar Road, where we picked up Una and Jack (Paddles) Clune.

After booking in at the Hotel, Jack and I decided we had better try and find the R.S.L. Club where the function was to be held. After all, we were in a strange town, and we didn't want to get lost on the way home late at night.

Fortunately the Club was not a great distance from the Hotel at which we were staying, and after carefully taking stock of the landmarks, we were reasonably sure we would be able to find our way back. In addition, we had to sample the several brands of amber fluid, to see whether they would measure up to expectations. Everything being to our satisfaction, we returned to our Hotel. Our wives had not been idle in our absence and had donned the glad rags, to make sure they would be presentable enough and that they would bring credit on us with their, well groomed appearance.

We returned to the R.S.L. Club, where after a few drinks, those present fell in beside the Club for a march to the War Memorial for a short wreath-laying ceremony. We were capably led by the Wauchope Pipe Band. Jack Clune, who seemed to get ideas above his station, elected to fall in directly behind the only lady member of the Band - although all the Band members wore skirts, he knew this one was a lady, because she had lipstick on. The March was led by Colonel Jack Williams, who also laid the wreath.

On our return to the Club, pre-dinner drinks were served; after which, a delightful smorgasbord dinner was served by members of the Ladies Auxiliary.

M.C. for the evening was Joe Andrew from Wauchope R.S.L. Club, who kept speeches to a minimum, despite the fact that two of the speakers were members of Parliament. Joe welcomed the 130 who were present, and invited Jack Williams to reply, on behalf of the visitors.

Following this, we enjoyed a short musical interlude; the orchestra tuned up their instruments, and the rest of the evening was spent in dancing. Jack and I performed very creditably on the dance floor - I think we did every dance, even the ones we didn't know how to do.

2/30 Bn. personnel present were Jack and Agnes Conn and Neil and Mollie Huntley from Port Macquarie, Jack, and Iris Collins from Grafton, Bill Newton, Harry Griffis and Jack and Una Clune from Taree, Darby Young who made the trip from Sydney, Jack and Vera Fell from Cessnock and Claude Worth from Wauchope. The 'drop-short' boys were also represented - 2/15 Field Regt boys included Harry Boese, Ivor Gibson, Joe Schofield, Eric Jenner, Dud Ball and Keith Hanlon.

As the evening drew to a close, guests gradually drifted away, but as we were fortunate enough to be sitting with Secretary/ Manager Alan Robinson and wife, who very kindly made us a cup of coffee, we managed to stay the distance. All in all we spent a very pleasant evening, and our thanks to Wauchope R.S.L. for their hospitality.

I did notice that the stairs at the Hotel-had grown considerably steeper during the few hours we were away.

These Reunions rotate between Kempsey, Wauchope, Port Macquarie and Taree, and are held each year round about mid-August. Next years event will be held at Taree - a days drive from Sydney - Ed.


Our very good friend, W.O.11 M.E. Youl, R.Q.M.S. of 17 R.N.S.W.R. at Pymble, has spent a considerable length of time collecting a Museum of Militaria, which is housed at his home at 167 Eastern Road, WAHROONGA.

The collection consists of approximately 1,000 medals, 15,000 metal and cloth insignia, helmets, headdress and swords, and numerous Unit and Military Histories. He is naturally keen to expand the collection and would appreciate any assistance Readers could afford him in obtaining any of these items, with particular emphasis on badges of the Australian Militia Period.

We are deeply appreciative of our close ties with 17 R.N.S.W.R., and the co-operation and assistance accorded us by Mr. Youl at our Gemas Day Commemorations. Will those who are able to help with the collection, please communicate direct with:

Mr. M. E. Youl, 167 Eastern Rd., WAHROONGA. N.S.W. 2076.


A passing phase in retreat,
Winter days have fallen asleep.
Tis the Season of a different name
And the reason for blossoms all aflame.

Stoutly defied, with crimson flush
It quickly dyed the Winter bush.
Trees forlorn take different shape
As leaves new born begin to drape.

Tiny spears of grass with pearly dew upon
Show at last that Winter has gone.
All day through the birds will sing.
Tis a story true, the birth of Spring.

Ted Rickards. Mungindi, 1973.


ALLAN JOHN (DICK) ANDREW (B Coy). He died peacefully at the Cootamundra Hospital, after a protracted illness, which was borne with the stoicism of the Dick Andrew we all knew so well, on 21st July last at the age of 64, from lymphoma and abscess of the lung.

He was an original member of B Coy, and his quiet, retiring nature but an ever present wistful, enigmatic smile endeared him to not only that Company but all his mates in the Battalion During P.O.W. days, Dick did his stint on the ill-fated “F" Force on the Railway, and on a tunnelling party in Johore towards the end of hostilities. Although he bore the rigours of those days with a fortitude which apparently showed no ill effects healthwise, he undoubtedly suffered in later years, and for the last six years had been under regular treatment.

Originally a Tasmanian, Dick came to New South Wales in 1933 and worked firstly at Barellan. A year later, he moved to "Ferndale", Bethungra and, except for his period of military service, had remained there ever since. He and Dorothy married in 1956, after Dick had returned from an eleven months Overseas Tour.

Dick always classed himself as a Rural worker, but it is rather significant that he managed "Ferndale", on two separate occasions each of six months, when his employers were Overseas on holidays. It is also rather significant that Dick's obituary in the local paper, which was written by his employer (Mr. Merrin of "Ferndale") concluded with: "Dick Andrew has been a sincere and true friend to the many people who came in contact with him throughout the years, and to the Merrin family his name will ever be remembered with deepest affection."

Dick was accorded an R.S.L. funeral on 23rd July last by the Cootamundra Sub-branch, who formed a Guard of Honour at the graveside. At the largely attended funeral, where masses of floral tributes paid homage to the memory of Dick, we were represented by John Despoges - the only other member of the Battalion living in the Cootamundra District.

To Dorothy, Dick's cousins in Tasmania, and their families, we extend our deepest sympathy.

RONALD (POPEYE) KENTWELL (C Coy). He died somewhat suddenly and unexpectedly at Hospital in Lismore on 11th August last at the age of 51, from a heart attack. Popeye had in fact suffered from a heart condition for some years past, but appeared to have learned the art of how to live with it; and his death came as a shock to us all.

An original member of C Coy, Popeye endured the rigours of our training (about which he was always full of complaints, particularly as to the unseemingly long marches we used to do) until volunteers were called for at Batu Pahat for someone to learn the art of and become the Battalion bugler. He promptly volunteered and was wont to chide his mates, in that typical 'Popeye' voice (for which he was famous and from whence he derived his nickname) as they marched off to training, while he loafed in Camp, making weird noises on a bugle. There is no record of him having successfully played it, but he certainly most successfully occupied his, time learning the art, until the Japanese ruined it by entering the War.

During P.O.W. days he made the mistake of allowing himself to be drafted on "A" Force, which sailed from Singapore on the "Celebes Maru" on 15th May, 1942, and though Popeye undoubtedly would have worked all the dodges of which he was capable in order to avoid hard work, he appears to have done his full stint of labour, without very much time off for a spell in any of the Hospital Camps, despite a bout of cholera on one occasion. The privations and sufferings during that period undoubtedly caused his heart condition, from which he suffered as a comparatively young man. Despite this emphasis on the lighter side, (for it was that aspect of life which he appeared to favour) it is recorded that Popeye was a good soldier with a keen sense of duty and he was an extremely popular member of C Coy.

On his return to Australia, Popeye continued to live with his widowed mother at Castle Hill, and in 1947 he married Bernice at Lismore. Typical of him, after the honeymoon, he had a second reception for his Sydney friends at the home of the late Ashley Jones (C Coy deceased 10/9/72).

He had progressed from working as a carpenter to the setting up of his own joinery business, which proved a successful venture and occupied his time until he decided to move to Ballina to live in 1967. He purchased the property next door to Bernice's parents, which he developed into three flats. He subsequently sold his remaining property at Castle Hill, and lived in Ballina in retirement until his death.

His Cremation at Lismore on 13th August was a private arrangement, but at Bernice's invitation, Bruce Greer represented the Association and attended the Service.

To Bernice, his sister Ella (Mrs. Hardy) and their families we extend, our deepest sympathy.

Footnote: The Sydney Press of 18th August, under the caption "Popeye is Silenced" advised the death, on 17th August, of Harry Foster Welch, the original voice of the cartoon character "Popeye the Sailorman", at the age of 74.

We have been saddened to learn of the deaths of several close relatives of members since publication of last MAKAN

AUBREY GLADSTONE HARRIS, father of Joyce Parsons, died on 16th July last at the age of 88. An Engineer by profession, he was an adviser to the Ministry of Munitions during World War 11. To Joyce and Johnnie, Joyce's mother and their families, we offer our deepest sympathy.

ERIC DALRYMPLE WALSHE, widower father of Jim, died on 12th August last. To Jim and Beverley and their families we offer our deepest sympathy.

JOHN LLOYD, son of Barbara and David (Deceased), died suddenly, as the result of an accident, on 19th August last, at the age of 26.

Barbara and John had driven by car to Newcastle to attend the 21st birthday celebrations of a nephew of Barbara's, and they were returning on the Sunday, accompanied by another nephew of Barbara's. When nearing Sydney on the Expressway, with Barbara driving, a young Interstate driver passed their car at high speed, cut in unnecessarily and too soon, hit Barbara's car and caused it to roll over several times.

Although suffering badly from shock, severe bruising and several broken ribs, Barbara survived the accident, but John and Barbara's nephew both died as a result of it.

At the time of the accident, Timothy was resident in Port Moresby, on appointment by his employers, who have since transferred him to Sydney to be with his mother.

This further loss, coming just two years after the sudden death of David, is a most tragic burden for Barbara and Timothy to bear, and our sincere thoughts and deepest sympathy are extended to them.

RITA CECILY MASTON, widowed mother of Ron, died on 6th September last, at the age of 81 years. To Ron and Gretta and their families we extend our Deepest sympathy.


Kevin Ward advises the State as at 20th September:

In R. G. H., Concord:
Harry Head (B Coy)

In other Institutions:
Harry Law (A Coy)

Discharged from R. G. H., Concord since last MAKAN:

Frank Topham (C Coy), Stuart Plowes (HQ Coy), Frank Dyson (B Coy), George Cross (A Coy) and Mrs. Jennifer Pope.

Discharged from Rock Castle Private Hospital, Harbord:
Dick Tompson (HQ Coy)


Despite a real scrounge around the bottom of the barrel, these columns are a bit low on volume for this issue. But that is nothing compared with what next issue will be like, unless some of the Readers put. pen to paper and send in some items - the folder "Items for inclusion in MAKAN" is empty.

Bruce and Billie Greer (HQ Coy) have registered an entry in The Grandpa Stakes with the birth of Sarah Elizabeth Greer to their son and his wife, Elizabeth, on 23rd August last. Like most grandparents, they reckon that 71b 4oz Sarah is just the best ever.

Bruce retired from the Real Estate game when he purchased the block of flats and went to live in Ballina, but once a Realtor always one. He and Billie will be moving to a house - still in Ballina - some time in October, as Bruce received a very attractive offer for the flats, and just couldn't resist it.

A note from Ted Skuse (A Coy) advised that he and Edna have moved from Yagoona to TUNCURRY, which is a temporary address, as they will be moving to a permanent address - still in Tuncurry - about the end of October.

Ted has not been exactly 100% of late, and had to retire from work in June last, while Edna has also suffered a couple of slight heart attacks. Since both of them had to slow down, they are relaxing at Tuncurry and hoping for a prompt return to good health - in which we join.

Dick Tompson (HQ Coy) has returned to work after a spell in Hospital with a displaced disc - he was really pinned down, undergoing traction for some time.

It has taken quite a while, but we finally managed to get a bit of information about the family he and Anne have raised. Phillip (25), single, is 6'2", and is forward hand in an A Class yacht in Hobart. He graduated with honours in Electrical Engineering and is an engineer with the P.M.G. in Hobart. He is an amateur radio enthusiast, with his own call sign. Andrew (21) is also 6'2" and also sails, but he is one up on his brother as he is married. Andrew is in final year Civil Engineering at Tasmanian University and could well emulate his brother with honours on graduation.

Although he now appears to be settled in Sydney, where he is Assistant Manager of the Head Office of the C.B. Coy, Dick and Anne were kicked around in the Bank (in at least three States) after the War, and Tasmania has gotten in the family blood, to the extent that they love the place, and the boys wont leave it.

Dick reminded us that the association of Steve Allardice with our proposal to place a Memorial Plaque in the Changi Gaol Chapel is quite appropriate. Steve and Dick (plus Gwen and Anne) journeyed to Bathurst a long time ago, to select the site for our Memorial near the old Camp site. Steve finally stood Dick on the proposed site, took a photo of him, and that was submitted to the Association as their recommendation. Our Cairn now stands on that site.

Kevin Ward (A Coy) besides being adept at directing the Hospital Visitation, is also adept at household chores these days. Dorothy had minor surgery to her right wrist, which is progressing very satisfactorily, but during the six weeks or so that treatment required complete immobility of the wrist, Kevin copped those of the chores which Dorothy couldn't do left-handed, or the kids couldn't be persuaded to do.

In a recent letter from Narrandera to Les Hall (who was good enough to pass the information on) Les Perry (D Coy) advised: "My father and mother had their Diamond Wedding Anniversary on July 14th and we had a very nice party at the bowling Club where Keith Mulholland (D Coy) is the Bar Manager."

"We invited Vic Hamlin (C Coy) from Boree Creek, also a cousin of mine named Moyra Etherington from Dee Why; and it was love for both of them. They plan to marry on Saturday, October 6th, in Dee Why. So, my old mate Vic, at 52 years of age, has decided to trip along the Bridal Path; but I think he has plenty of life left in him for many years yet."

(Fancy the confirmed bachelor of Boree Creek quitting the Benedicks! Let us not be accused of "much ado about nothing", but: Welcome to the Club, Vic. You will soon learn that, despite the certainty that you will become, like the rest of us, browbeaten and henpecked, there is still something nice about the Honourable Estate. Maybe now that Vic has acquired a Secretary, we will at least hear upon occasions how the Hamlin's are getting on. Welcome to the Letter-writing-wives Club, Moya.)

Dorothy Andrew (widow of Dick - B Coy) has joined the "naughty but nice" group by sending in a donation to MAKAN. We really do appreciate generosity of this nature, but would repeat again that it is our pleasure to send MAKAN to the Next-of-Kin of our deceased mates, and we do not wish them to feel that they are in any way required to contribute to it.

For the time being at least, Dorothy will continue to live at "Ferndale" and she hopes that any of the boys going through that way will give her a call, even if only to say "Hello".

Stuart Plowes (HQ Coy) was a bit late sending in his Subs from Kemp's Creek, so he sent enough to keep him out of trouble for next year as well.

Apparently the State Planning Authority reckoned they had more need of their farm than Stuart and Freda did, so it was reclaimed as open space, and the Plowes had to move from Cecil Park to Kemp's Creek, where they now have their dog kennels.

The local Post Office got a bit mixed up with George Kingston's (A Coy) mail. When straightening it out, George mentioned that apart from an argument with a bull (which the bull won and left George with a broken finger) he is keeping very fit.

George enclosed a cutting from the Bourke Paper recording the presentation of Queen's Medals for 20 years long service and good conduct in the volunteer Fire Brigade. The accompanying photograph showed the four recipients, and featured prominently was Charlie Taylor (D Coy), looking fatter than ever and, for a wonder, without a smile on his face.

Harry Griffis was briefness personified when sending in his Subs from Taree promptly after receiving the Circular. Although he was too pressed for time to use the back of the Circular, he at least reported that Bill Newton (D Coy) was looking very much better these days and Bill's wife, Mary, was making better progress. Harry and Noleen must be O.K. as he didn't say otherwise.

Jack Newton (HQ Coy) is pretty good at talking, but pretty poor at including much news when he sent in his Subs from Grafton round about last Christmas. However, he did mention that their third daughter, Maree Joy, was leaving on 4th January last for one year's working holiday in New Zealand. Jack and Gloria were then commencing five weeks holiday, during which time they hoped to catch a few of those fish swimming close to the shore in the Pacific. Jack sent his Seasonal Greetings to all.

Des Gee (HQ Coy) was very brief when he sent in his Subs from Moonee Ponds. Vic, probably due to the fact that he was at that time still enjoying the fruits of a take over of his Company, which was one of those profitable ones resulting in a nice Bank balance for Shirley and Des.

Vince Leonard (HQ Coy) was also prompt with his Subs plus, but had very little news to add beyond the announcement that he expected a further qualifying entry in the Grandpa Stakes in the near future.

Ron and Meg Johnston (C Coy) were definitely Overseas in May last, as a card arrived at that time from Bangkok, advising that they had been around the old haunts in Malaya and had been impressed by the exceptionally well kept cemeteries at Kranji and Kanchanaburi. They were then leaving Bangkok for Hong Kong and Ron advised that he would make contact promptly after their return, and advise details of their trip.

No further information has yet been received, but it is unlikely that they are still tripping around; so we may expect some news one of these days.

The briefest of notes from Bert Hodge (A Coy) from Gilgandra merely enclosed his Subs, corrected the mistaken idea the Editor had that his name was Arthur (in lieu of Albert) and advised a qualifying entry in the Grandpa Stakes with a grandson, produced by his only married daughter.

Bert has been a T.P.I., with a heart condition, since 1961, and that naturally restricts his activities these days to little more than a spot of gardening now and then.

Wal Eather (HQ Coy) was so late sending in his Subs from Tamworth that he even included a bit of news.

Wal had a few days in Hospital last April, for a repair job on a hernia, but was up and about for Anzac Day. He advised that big Ray Michell (B Coy) made the news when he disturbed an intruder in the early hours one morning, tackled him and finally sat on him until the gendarmes arrived. The intruder was a youngish bloke who had armed himself with a knife, one of Ray's War souvenirs, and Ray received a bit of a cut hand in the process of subduing him. However, with Tup on hand, Ray probably got very prompt treatment, and alls well that ends well - which it did.

It took several reminders to get Morrie Horrigan (D Coy) to send in his Subs from Dalby, Q., so he sent in enough to keep us off his back for a few years. He even used up the back of the form to write a few words, but spent most of the space maligning himself as the worst letter writer this side of the Black Stump - which is agreed - and now that he is in the "Subs in Advance" Class, he probably wont write again for some time to come.

However, Morrie and Jack Burke (C Coy) make up our Dalby contingent, and with his several afflictions, Jack is a bit hamstrung and can't venture out at night; and Morrie reckons there is not much doing in Dalby, anyway. He and Selina must be O.K., as Morrie didn't say otherwise.

Harry (John in Cooma) Holden (B Coy) sent enough to keep him from worrying for a few years. It is a wonder he could afford it, as he was then in the process of devising ways and means of getting a few dollars and cents together to cover the cost of the wedding of their eldest daughter in September - he even contemplated running a few raffles round the Pubs.

He and Joan must be well, as Harry didn't say otherwise.

Bert Farr (HQ Coy) sent in his Subs and was naturally proud to advise that daughter, Penny, is married and lives in Victoria; while son, Stephen, is not such a bad golfer - he plays off a handicap of 5 and is in the Asquith Club Eric Apperley Shield Team. Bert is still with Wrigley's, and suggests we all keep buying P.K. and 'carry the big fresh flavour'.

He and Doreen and all the family were well at the time of his note to us.

Roy King (B Coy) apparently got his lines crossed somewhere, as he sent in his Subs plus from Adamstown promptly on receipt of the reminder, then doubled up a couple of months later. So he wont have to worry for a few years.

He didn't include any news, but he subsequently paid a visit to Singapore and wrote a really decent sized letter to Jack Black (HQ Coy) who advised us that Roy obviously enjoyed the trip and was amazed at the change in Singapore, and in the areas where we toiled.

Amongst those who added a donation to their Subs remittance were:- Wally Bell, George Kingston and Stuart Robertson (all of A Coy), Harry Wilson (B Coy), Johnnie Parsons (C Coy), Vernon Baynes, Ian Price and Don Sutherland (D Coy), George Aspinall, Bob Howells and Darby Young (HQ Coy). Their donations are very much appreciated, but the Editor would have liked to receive a bit of news with them, as it is very seldom that we get to hear how most of the donors are progressing - George Kingston excepted, as he is one of our regulars.

And there we must end - for no other reason than that there just isn't any more news with which to regale you. At this juncture, the outlook for the December issue is pretty grim, so it behoves some of you to dip the old thumb nail in the tar pot and do the right thing by the Editor.



Girls! Please take notice that the Christmas Party WILL BE HELD ON THURSDAY, 6th DECEMBER at 3.00 P.M. at INDIAN TEA CENTRE, 176 Pitt St., SYDNEY

So that Mrs. Marguerite Jenkins can complete all arrangements, please 'phone her at 969 5249, or write to her at MOSMAN, and let her know that you will be attending. It is important that she should have a fairly early indication of the number of people likely to be present, as she has a lot of arrangements to conclude

Sorry, Girls, but as no further reminders will be able to be sent, will you please note the date and time and place, and let Mrs. Jenkins know as soon as you can.


Saturday, 17th November, 1973.
At The District Services Club, GRAFTON.
Inclusive Cost: Unlikely to exceed $5.00 per double.

Held on the same day as the Sydney Reunion, it will preclude attendance by Metropolitan members, but it presents a great opportunity for Far North Coast members to get together.

Would members desiring to attend please advise Harry Rhodes at SOUTH GRAFTON, well before the event.

The reverse of the Sydney Acceptance Form (Page 24) contains a Form of Acceptance, which members may care to use.

Please detach this page, complete it and attach your cheque, and send it to Bob Jack promptly.


To be held at 6.30 p.m. at ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVAL HOUSE 32 Grosvenor St., SYDNEY on Saturday, 17th November,1973

I will be attending this function and enclose ADMISSION CHARGE : $5.00
(Block letters please)

Mr. Bob Jack,
Box 18, P.O.,

(Grafton Acceptance Form on reverse)

To be held at The District Services Club, Grafton on Saturday, 17th November, 1973.

I will be attending this function, accompanied by my Wife/Daughter/Friend (Please delete as necessary.)

In confirmation, I enclose the sum of $5.00, and I understand that any adjustment (if necessary) will be made at the Dinner.

(Block Letters please)

To: Mr. Harry Rhodes, SOUTH GRAFTON..
(Sydney Acceptance Form, on reverse)

Back to 1973 index or Main Index