Back to 1973 index or Main Index

Makan No. 208
May/June, 1973


Subscription Rate: $1.50 per Year

Registered for Posting as Periodical: Category A




It's that man again!

Since being shanghaied into the job a little over two years ago, your Editor has probably upset some of the Readers of MAKAN most of the time, and most of the Readers for at least some of the time.

It commenced with all those amendments to our Constitution to establish MAKAN as one of our objects, and permit the charging of an annual subscription rate in order to enable MAKAN to finance its own production and postage; and in his dual capacity as Chief Correspondent, the Editor has harped ever since about the necessity to pay Subs promptly, and members have been bombarded with Circulars.

The next shock came with the change to duplicating the Journal. Although rather crude at the start, production by Duplicator seems to have settled down, and while there is a lot of work involved, the savings in costs have enabled the annual subscription to be kept within reasonable bounds.

This saving was further assisted by obtaining registration for posting as a periodical in the cheapest bracket - Category A - and hence the harping on prompt payment of all Subs in order to retain the registration. However, costs were added to by the Postal Regulation requiring the covers to be printed each time (not stamped or written on) with the number and date of issue, as well as notification of the registration. Our former Printer was accordingly engaged to overprint the covers for each issue as it was produced.

To overcome this latter cost, but largely to save the many hours of work involved in addressing the 441 envelopes necessary for posting out each issue, a hand-operated envelope addressing machine has been acquired, with the necessary stencils; and the machine has been adapted, by the addition of a repeat mechanism, so that the required Postal information can be printed by it on the covers.

While the attachment looks a bit like one of Heath Robinson's designs, and the manufacture has been carried out by Professor Phil the Dill (Jan/Feb 1972 MAKAN), it finally works; as do also the sorting box, folding tray and stapling machine - further products of the Robinson/Professor imagination. But the printing of the covers had to go through its teething problems - as did also the duplicating and all the other operations -and some of the Readers will receive odd-looking covers on this issue of MAKAN; for which we apologise and assure them that they wont be quite as bad in the future.

With the mechanisation of one of his major tasks, the Envelope Addresser/Office Boy/ Printer's Devil/Assistant Maker-up and Despatcher has had his previous salary cut in half, and so far there has not been any talk of strike action; though he has complained bitterly about the necessity to tax his inventiveness to the utmost by having to work out a new system to enable him to continue his billets deux on the flaps of the envelopes. So if you miss out on greetings from the many-titled boy, blame the Editor for introducing a new system, and patiently await the solving of the problem by the boy.

As the Professor has assured him that there do not appear to be any further avenues for exploitation, your Editor has very much pleasure in advising his long-suffering Readers that they definitely should not be plagued by any further innovations; while freedom from trying out and finally mastering the operation of the Professor's various brain-children should enable the Editor to concentrate on the inclusion of more news, and improvement in the quality of the reading matter in MAKAN. But the Readers will have to continue their help by keeping those news items of themselves and their families rolling in.

Finally, your Editor wishes to express his thanks and to pay tribute to Mr. Reg Adams, Proprietor of Northside Duplicating Service, and his Staff, who have always taken a very personal interest in our affairs and have done the duplicating, and later the printing of MAKAN, from its early days, until the present Editor started to muck things around. The technical help and advice by Reg, and suggestions for the manufacture of the various aids to production, have enabled all of these innovations and improvements to be carried out - he even produced the envelope addressing machine and advised how to operate and adapt it.

Far from showing any. resentment at removal of our business from him (which, in any case, he was doing at such a reduced charge that there could hardly have been any profit in it for him) Reg, Kay and Josie remain our very good friends and are still interested in receiving a copy of MAKAN at each issue. Though typical of the people involved, their assistance has been most invaluable and heart-warming to your Editor, and has been largely responsible for the achievement of all that has been done.


The Meeting was held at the Combined Services R.S.L. Club on 13th April last and, as usual, was not particularly well attended. Amongst the 17 who dined at the Club prior to the Meeting was one whom we have not seen for quite a while, Bill Senior. (HQ Coy) who has moved from Brewarrina, and now lives at Chatswood.

The diners were later joined by a few more - just sufficient to give us a quorum - for the Meeting, which proceeded smoothly and successfully. Such was the apparent confidence by members, that all Office Bearers and the Committee of the Executive were re-elected to their respective offices unopposed, and the Report and Financial Statements were received without dissent.

A pleasing task performed by the President was his motion that our Patron be made an Honorary Life Member of the Association.. In his supporting remarks, the President paid tribute to the stirling qualities exhibited by our Patron during action, as a Group Commander on "A" Force and since returning to Australia, with particular emphasis on the last couple of years, since becoming our Patron. After being supported by other speakers, the motion was carried unanimously.

A further motion which received unanimous support was one moved by Phil Schofield which committed the Annual General Meeting strongly to support the stand taken by the R.S.L. at its Conventions, and urging all members of our Association to lend all support to the R.S.L. Campaign to retain our present National Flag forever, to retain our present National Anthem for use on all occasions when Royalty or their representatives are present and to adopt "Advance Australia Fair" as our Australian National Anthem, the first verse of which should be played on all official occasions.

An article, under the title "Our Heritage and Our Tradition", expressing the main points raised by the originator of the motion, follows this report.

A further item of interest was announced by the President at the Meeting concerning B.J.'s personal bowls, which Lady Galleghan had kindly made available to the Executive for disposal as they saw fit. Following some discussion on the subject, it was decided that the matter should be advised to all members through the columns of MAKAN - please see separate article on Page 8 of this issue.


In speaking to the motion he had submitted concerning support for the R.S.L. campaign, Phil Schofield said:

"Since acquiring a new Federal Government we seem to have heard quite a lot about the scrapping of the old and the adoption of a new National Anthem and a new National Flag; and there seems little doubt but that the matter will be pursued fully. To-days (Friday, 13th April,1973) Sydney Morning Herald carried a notification that submissions were now being accepted until the competition closes on 31st May, for the words of a new National Anthem, and the author of the accepted version will receive a prize of $5,000. Entries will then be opened for the composition of a tune, with a prize of $5,000. Proposed designs for a new Flag have already been published on several occasions."

"All of us answered our Country's Call, and I don't think that any of us did so without giving the matter of enlistment some due thought and consideration - particularly those of us who were married and had young children to support. All sorts of theories could be advanced and lots of glorious and trite epithets could be applied to our motivations. Whatever reasons you may bare to apply, there is no doubt that we did so from a sense of duty and responsibility, as did our brothers and fathers and grandfathers in previous Wars; and those reasons are probably best summed up in that age-old expression: "We answered the Call and Fought for Our Flag". Throughout the Ages, many men have done just that, and since that first Anzac Day, just 58 years ago, over 100,000 Australians have given their lives for such causes; be they right or wrong."

"I cannot believe that our Prime Minister, who served with distinction in the R.A.A.F., together with his fellow members who also served in various Services, did so through any motivations other than those which moved us, and I am sure that their patriotism was, and probably still is just as deeply rooted as ours. But I feel that they are more interested in remaining in office and receiving the salary attached to it, and in order to do so they are quite prepared to follow the dictates of those who helped to put them there, and whose motives and policies surely cause many of us considerable concern."

"Our Flag came into being just after Federation, and it has served our needs for 70 years. It represents our Heritage and our Tradition, and has flown with distinction throughout the World. The principal fault the knockers appear to find with it is the Union in the upper hoist of the Flag, which they suggest is an emblem of dependency and subservience. Others add to this and submit that we are a new and changing Australia, and we require a new Flag to express it. What utter poppy cock on both counts! Do we have to forgo all the symbols of our Heritage and our Tradition every time someone cracks a whip, or just because we get a new Government after 27 years?"

"It seems incongruous to me that some people should demand (and most successfully too, through certain Unions) that we preserve our Heritage and Tradition in our buildings and trees (which, after all, were the handiwork of our English forebears, most of whom worked with a ball and chain fastened to their ankles) yet the self-same people want to tear down something which means so much more to those of us who are capable of reasoned thought and action. I am not aware of any change made by Hawaii in its National flag to eliminate the Union Jack which proudly forms part of it, when they joined the U.S.A. as a full Member State. So they at least don't feel subservient or dependent, as some would have us believe we must do if we retain it in our Flag."

"The controversy over a National Anthem has long troubled us - even as far back as 1846, when "Advance Australia Fair" was first published. It subsequently won a competition for a National Anthem which was conducted by the Sydney Council of the Australasian League, and although we all learned it at Primary School and sang it when celebrating National Days, it is a matter for doubt whether many of the youngsters of today would recognise the tune - even less the words - although it is played regularly in the early morning over the A.B.C. Radio Stations."

"But it has been our National Song for over 125 years, and although the words may not be considered inspiring (and which of all the World's National Anthems are?) they do have a ring of nationalism about them and they fit the tune; and the tune is as good as any of the others, and better than most. Above all, we have had it for more than a century, its roots are deep in our history, and it does have an association with our Flag."

"We are an independent Nation, and I suppose we ought to have a National Anthem of our own - in fact we have had one, "Advance Australia Fair" for over 125 years - but we still belong to the Commonwealth of Nations and the Queen is Queen of Australia, as well as Queen of Great Britain, and the other members of the Commonwealth. Canada does not appear to have found any problems with playing the Queen's National Anthem when Royalty or their representatives are present, and their Canadian National Anthem on other occasions; and I cannot see any problems arising if we do the same in Australia."

"Why throw away all our Heritage and Tradition at the behest of those few whose motives possibly lie deeper than those expressed by them publicly - and to those of us who really care, those motives must surely be suspect."

"Let us, as members of that vast silent majority, become vocal, and support the R.S.L. campaign."

Footnote:- Following unanimous acceptance of the motion, it was resolved that the R.S.L. should be informed of our support and that the matter should be widely advertised through MAKAN. Towards that end, the covers of this issue and the envelope containing it carry slogans, and the R.S.L. have provided their car sticker concerning the Flag, one of which is, enclosed.

If you already have one on your car, then urge your friend, or neighbour to place it on his. The instructions for affixing are quite simple:- The sticker is already gummed on the printed side and all that is required to do is to wet it and, press it against the inside back window of the car. Exclude any air bubbles by pressing or dabbing with, say a folded handkerchief. For safety's sake, please make sure that the sticker is as low as possible on the rear window. If you require more stickers for distribution amongst friends etc, the local R.S.L. will supply them free of cost.


As most members were aware, B.J. was a reasonably keen Bowler, and at the time of his death he had in his possession two sets of lawn bowls, as follows:

Set No. 1: In a polished plywood carrying case, 4 "Henselite" Standard Black, branded LF 148, 4 15/16", B A/64 C. Engraved with a 2/30 Bn. Colour Patch on each side.

Set No. 2: In two separate containers, 4 Slazenger Ezi-Grip Magnetic Touch, Black, Branded SE 874, 4 15/16", BA/73 C, Engraved with 8 Div Insignia on each side.

In terms of B.J.'s express wish, Lady Galleghan has made the two sets available to the Executive, to dispose of as they see fit.

Following discussion at the Annual General Meeting, it has been decided that applications should be called for from all Bowling members of the Association for allotment of one set of the B.J. bowls to the selected member, on the following basis:

(a) Each applicant must be a regular Bowler and a member of a regular Bowling Club.

(b) He should indicate his preference for one particular set, and agreement to accept the other set allotted to him (in the event of him being unsuccessful in the ballot for the set of his first choice, but being successful in a further ballot for another set). Otherwise he will only be considered eligible for the particular set nominated.

(c) Set No. 1 (with the 2/30 Bn. Colour Patches) will be allocated on a Life Tenancy basis only. That is to say, these bowls do not become part of the member's estate at death, but are to be returned to the Executive by his Executors for re-allocation.

(d) Set No. 2 (8th Div.) will become the absolute property of the member to whom it is allotted, but it is hoped that the allottee will arrange ultimate disposal of it to a former member of the Bn. or of 8 Div.

(e) The decision of the Executive in allocation of the sets of bowls will be final, and will be advised in a subsequent issue of MAKAN.

All applications should be addressed to the Chief Correspondent and should be forwarded to reach him by 30th June at the latest.


Although a bit cloudy at times, the weather was excellent for the March, and 115 of the Bn. gathered at the Assembly Point where, for the early arrivals at least, a good hour and a half was spent in greetings and reminiscences before we set off.

Our Patron was well enough to be able to accept the invitation to accompany the Leader of the 8th Div in the official jeep, and accompanied by Chub and son, Max, he was present at our Assembly Point bright and early to greet the boys; and our President, Arch Thorburn took the opportunity to invest him with his special Life Membership Badge. Although unable to March with, us, due to his poor motive power, Des Duffy also turned up at the Assembly Point.

Noel Johnston led the Battalion, followed by Stan Arneil, who carried the Banner, and President Arch Thorburn; and as we marched in 12's (in lieu of the former 16's) our column was a little longer than formerly. Lady Galleghan was attending the Ceremony in Adelaide, so we were unable to accord her the usual "Eyes Left" as we passed the Legacy Post in Martin Place, but our thoughts were with her as we remembered especially the loss we had all suffered on 20th April, 1971.

Once again we had the St. Mary's District Band a few yards in front of us, and marching to their sparkling rhythm was a real pleasure - it is to be hoped that their attendance will become a regular fixture.

A permanent booking has been made for the Upstairs Lounge at the Forbes Tavern for our gathering after the March, and it was once again a great success. Aided by the copious supply of sandwiches, which were provided by Betty and Harry Collins, the pleasant surroundings and the presence of nine members of the original 30th Bn. (W.W.1) the stories were still flowing freely when your Scribe left in the late afternoon; and Don Company were still cluttering up that exclusive nook at the head of the stairs at the King Street entrance.


Harry Head and John Kreckler journeyed to Bathurst this year as our official representatives, and Harry reports:

"We left John's Unit at Ramsgate at 0500 hours on Anzac Day and de-bussed at the R.S.L. at Bathurst at 0850 hours. Everyone had gone home, they having closed the Club at 0800, but we were expected, and were received with two schooners and breakfast.

"By 0930, the new President, John Manuel, arrived and welcomed us officially. Both John Kreckler and I got the impression that Bathurst R.S.L. really look forward to the visit by our representatives each year; and we were NOT expected to pay for any drinks or meals - to the extent that a book of chits was thrust upon us, despite our protests.

"First up: The March from the Club to the Carillon- an impressive Ceremony- with once again our awareness of every age group in Bathurst taking part. The School Cadets and C.M.F. did a particularly fine job. Back to the Club for a round of drinks and presentation to the Past President, Clive Osborne, the sitting State Member for the District.

"Bruce Pratt insisted that we lunch with him and his wife at their beautiful home. He is the Regional Engineer for the Commonwealth Dept. of Works. Mrs. Pratt is a charming lady, and Bruce himself deserves commendation for the way he looks after our Cairn. He has planted - and they thrive - a rosemary bush at each corner inside the cyclone fence, and he sees to it frequently that no rubbish infests the environs.

"The 3.00 p.m. Service at the Cairn was attended by approximately 80-90 people, and Jack Manuel introduced John and I to the gathering - they seemed impressed that we both wore the Association Badge and Tie! John made a short and very good speech subsequently.

"I recited the Ode, and at the end of the Service, presented our Trophy to the Junior Band Member, who was a young lass of about 10 years of age, but neither John nor I got her name. I was told it, but not very clearly by the Band Tutor.

"Back to the Club, and taken to dinner by two Vice-Presidents. We had the honour to meet the designer of the 8th Div. Memorial that the Old Man officiated at. We stopped in Bathurst over night, and drove home early next day.

"An excellent Day. John and I bowed out of a 5 p.m. Service at the War Graves Cemetery, and I bowed out of "Retreat" at 6 p.m. at the Carillon - John attended this.

"The travelling, subsequent public relations and constant Services were possibly a little too much at our age,  I think; but it was, and no doubt about it, a most impressive Day."


As a matter of interest, and through the courtesy of the local Press and the assistance of our Correspondents in various Centres, a brief round-up of Anzac Day activities is furnished. The general tenor of remarks was that attendances in most cases were lower than last year, which was possibly due to the long Easter/Anzac Day holiday break and the inclement weather in some cases at some of the centres.

In Sydney, nearly 20,000 (about 3,000 fewer than last year) marched, taking nearly three hours to pass the Cenotaph in Martin Place. No official estimate was given of the crowd who watched the March, beyond stating that it was a huge crowd lining the whole of the route from Martin Place to Hyde Park. In Canberra, about 10,000 people watched 1,500 march along Anzac Parade to the War Memorial. The Governor General, Sir Paul Hasluck, took the salute, and later laid a wreath on the Stone of Remembrance.

In Melbourne, marchers outnumbered spectators. About 13,000 Veterans marched under grey skies, watched by 10,000 people - 5,000 fewer than last year.

In Brisbane, more than 7,000 spectators watched 3,376 march - 200 fewer than last year.

In Adelaide, 5,700 marched. It was one of the smallest ever turnouts. Dismal weather was blamed.

In Perth, about 5,000 people, one of the smallest crowds ever, watched 4,000 march.

In Hobart, there were about 1,800 marchers - about 20% up on last year.

In Port Moresby, more than 12,000 people watched the last holiday Anzac Day March in Papua New Guinea. From next year, the day will no longer be a holiday in that Country. In Singapore, Australian and New Zealand Infantry Troops met for possibly the last Anzac Day they will commemorate together overseas. Several thousand servicemen and civilians at Kranji Cemetery were reminded of the Day's significance by an Australian Roman Catholic Padre, Father John Tinkler.

In London, the Prime Minister, Mr. Whitlam, the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Roden Cutler, and State Agents-General laid wreaths at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, and attended a special commemoration service in Westminster Abbey, where Mr. Whitlam and the New Zealand High Commissioner read the Lessons.

In Country Areas, attendances at individual Centres were probably affected by the holding of Services at each Town; and on the Far North Coast in particular, where Centres are often only a few miles apart, there must have been a huge observance over all without very large numbers appearing at any one particular happening. This also occurred at Newcastle, where individual suburban Sub-Branches, such as Adamstown, held their own Service. A clipping from the Newcastle Press showed a large-sized photo of Jim Webster (B Coy) proudly handing his "Changi" Pipes to his great-grandson, Steven Tripp (11), who went on parade for the first time. It will be recalled that Jimmy lost his own Pipes during action, and the set he has used ever since was given to him by the Gordon Highlanders when we were first quartered at Selarang.

In Narrandera, 36 attended the Dawn Service and about 120 marched later on, with approximately 1,000 attending the Service in the Memorial Gardens. Following the Service, the Women's Auxiliary served luncheon in the R.S.L. Function Room to the marchers; and with Terry Hon. Sec. of the R.S.L. and Muriel President of the Auxiliary, the O'Rourkes had a pretty busy time.

In Lismore, about 250 marched, headed by three car-loads of disabled veterans; and the crowd which lined the streets was little more than half that which watched in previous years.

In Casino, about 100 ex-servicemen and 50 others attended the Dawn Service and about 2,000 people watched the March later in the morning, which included nurses from the Hospital, scouts, guides and cadets.

In Ballina, there was reported to be a stronger participation by ex-servicemen and civilians in this years Services than in last years. More than 200 ex-servicemen marched in a parade of nearly 1,000.

In Kyogle, Sub-Branch President for the past 24 years, Clarrie Lattimer (HQ Coy) led the March, which showed a decline of more than one-third in the number of ex-servicemen, though other organisations were well up to strength.

In Grafton, about 250 marched, with the procession including scouts, cadets and marching girls; with numbers being fewer by comparison with last year, and onlookers considerably less.

In South Grafton, about 200 marched, including organisations as in Grafton. The guest speaker at the Cenotaph was Major Jim Orr (known to some of us in P.O.W. days as Sgt. Jim Orr)

In Tamworth, numbers of ex-servicemen participating were down, but spectators at the main March numbered as many, if not more than last year. About 350 attended the Dawn Service at Anzac Park Memorial Gates, and more than 300 attended the 7.00 a.m.

Service at West Tamworth. About 380 marched, including about 75 cadets; and 250 ex-diggers attended a special luncheon at the R.S.L. Club following the Service at the Oval which was attended by about 600. Wal Eather gave the address at a 9.00 a.m. Service at Somerton. On Anzac Day the local Press featured salutations and tributes from business houses and organisations, and the R.S.L. tribute featured Ted Rickard's poem under the caption of "Our Day - A tribute to Anzac's" (published in the May/June, 1971 edition of MAKAN.)

In Armidale, a big crowd turned out to watch the March by about 150 ex-servicemen and women, whose numbers approximated those of last year.

The reports appeared to indicate that Dawn Services only were held at several Centres, at some of which a March was also combined.

At Sawtell, 50 ex-servicemen and 50 others gathered.

At Coffs Harbour, 80 ex-servicemen and 70 others participated.

At Brunswick Heads, a 95 year-old Boer War Veteran acted as the Chief Standard Bearer for the March at the Dawn Service, which also included a Cadet Corps unit.

At most, if not all of the Services at these Centres, addresses on the message of Anzac were delivered by prominent people, and the ex-servicemen participating were later entertained at breakfast or lunch.


It is obvious that your Scribe is growing less efficient as the years progress. Anzac Day, with a record gathering at the Assembly Point and good spirits flowing at the Forbes Tavern, had all the makings of a field day, but in his dual capacity of Collector of Subs, your Scribe did have a field day, and that kept him more or less busy, so he missed out a bit on the news.

However, he did manage to notice a few Long Distance Runners at the Assembly Point, including Bruce Campbell (HQ Coy) from Port Macquarie, looking very fit and very much as though he came out of a good paddock. On the other hand, Alan Hudson (D Coy) down from Tottenham, was wiry enough, but he has not put on such a lot of weight. He sported a stitched and well bound up thumb that he attempted to lop off when cutting some meat for the cat.

Ray Body (HQ Coy) was down from Raymond Terrace, still looking fit, and being transport officer for Sandy Christensen (HQ Coy) whom he picked up at Allambie Heights. With his usual cunning, Ray brought along son, Max, to do the driving, and in case Max hit the grog, he also brought along Max's cobber, Leo, to ensure a safe trip home. It is said that it takes an old dog for a hard road, but at about 53 Ray isn't that old.

Norm King (D Coy) shook the dust of Golspie off his feet and was joined by Athol Charlesworth (D Coy) from Leura. Both Norm and Athol looked very fit, and helped to swell the Don Company gang who clutter up the landing at the Pub each year. Stewart Blow (HQ Coy) was up from Berry, looking as fat as one of his prize bulls; and it wouldn't be an Anzac Day if we didn't have Andy Hyslop (BHQ) from Umina Beach and Ray Simmons from Wyoming (near Gosford, and not in the U.S.A.) in attendance. Both Andy and Ray looked fit enough, though Ray still has a bit of trouble with his partly worn-out ticker.

Then, it certainly wouldn't be an Anzac Day without an Illawarra contingent, represented on this occasion by Alan Charlton (HQ Coy) looking fit enough after his Hospitalisation and able to carry the 2/30 Bn. sign in the March; Graham McLeod (HQ Coy) and Wally Scott (A Coy), both looking fit enough despite the various bits and pieces which afflict them - and most of us to some degree for that matter.

At the Forbes Tavern, we were delighted to have with us a contingent from the original 30th Bn. (W.W.1 - Tivey's Chocolates). Though they ranged in age from 81 to 75 years they were sprightly enough to put most of us to shame, and they sported a most attractive name plate in Purple and Gold, which we might copy for use by ourselves at future gatherings. The contingent comprised:

Laurie Stuckey, a stripling of 78 who still goes to business each day and reckons he hasn't had time to take a holiday for a good many years. Laurie is President of their Sydney Branch and Patron of the Newcastle Branch. His offsider and Hon. Sec. of the Sydney Branch, Horrie Chapman, could only tally a sprightly 77 years, and he obviously has a son in the Printing Business who was persuaded by Chappie to produce the name plates.

Harold Murray, President of the Newcastle Branch and 81 years of age, looked as though he could have run the distance in lieu of using the train to journey from Newcastle; and had he done so, he could have had Jack Foley (80) from Maitland jogging beside him - he looked fit enough. Incidentally, the Newcastle Branch hold their Reunion on 10th November next, and Harold advised that he would get in touch with our boys in the Newcastle Area, and suggest that they join the Old Boys at the Reunion.

Apart from Edward Mulroney (80), Perc. Crowfoot (80) and Jim Gavin (79), all of whom carried their age remarkably well, Arthur Weedon and Maurice McClure, both a mere 75 (and making them kids of 21 when W.W.1. had finished) didn't look any older than your Scribe, who can only pull down 66. All in all, our older brothers-in-arms were a living example of how to cope with the inevitable advancing years, and it was a delight to have them with us on Anzac Day. We hope they will make it a regular event.

Young Bill Douglas (B Coy) was doing a certain amount of bragging about his qualifying entry in the Grandpa Stakes. Eldest daughter, Wendy, recently produced Kerry Anne to help with the imbalance of an excess of males in the under 25 age group.

Whereupon Hank Massey (HQ Coy) announced his qualifying entry with Matthew John, who was produced by daughter, Glenda about four months ago. Just to prove that he hadn't got his signals wrong, Hank produced a photo of a remarkably handsome youngster and was prepared to drool over it as often as he could get anyone to look at it.

Young Reg Napper (D Coy.- MBE, EM with 3 clasps) sported another insignia on his lapel which looked a bit like an oval laurel wreath with a dagger through it. Remembering the time that Reg did a bit of unarmed combat training, which didn't seem to work so well when he was demonstrating his prowess with that big Vic Jones (D Coy) as Vic crowned Reg three times with, fortunately, a rubber thong, your Scribe thought the new badge might refer to that episode. However, due enquiry elicited the information that it was the Infantry Combat Badge, which is available to all servicemen who fought in the Infantry, in a Combat Zone in theatres of War, but it is issued only to a serving member of the Permanent Military Forces or of the Active Citizen Military Forces - hence Reg's qualification, as a serving member.

One whom we haven't seen for ages was Hugh (Snowy) Martin (D Coy) who is in the process of finding a house in which to live in the Metropolitan Area. Snowy looked as fit as a fiddle, but beyond peeling a few dollars off him for membership, your Scribe omitted to get Snow's vital statistics, which will be obtained when he advises where he has eventually settled.

Hoot Gibson (C Coy) brought along a most welcome visitor who marched with us, Jack Heasman, son of our Jack Heasman (HQ Coy) who died at that Pommy Hospital (?) - the British General Hospital at Takanoon - on 14/5/43, on the way up on "F" Force from cholera and exhaustion; making Jack probably one of our first cholera victims. Jack was eventually laid to rest in the Kanburi Cemetery and by a strange coincidence, Bert Farr (HQ Coy) had visited Kanburi some time back and had taken some photos at the Cemetery, one of which showed Jack's grave. The Editor had retained the photo until recently, when Hoot Gibson happened to catch up with young Jack and wrote in requesting some information on Jack's father. It was a pleasure to supply the details and the photo. Young Jack is married, with wife Mary and a six year old, and the prospect of another child in the near future.

Ron McBurney (A Coy) sent in his Subs plus, very promptly on receipt of the first Circular, and regretted that he had no news to send in. However, judging from the way he looked on Anzac Day, he appears to have recovered from the bad spell he suffered last year.

One of the early ones to answer the Circular re Subs was Jack Conn (HQ Coy) who sent in enough from Port Macquarie to keep him out of trouble for a couple of years. His note was pretty brief, but he did advise that Agnes and the family were well, and though he had had a bout of pleurisy in mid-December, he was now on the up and up. He sent his greetings to all.

Mick Bailey (HQ Coy) was also an early bird with his Subs, and it can only be assumed that he and Edna are in the pink, as he didn't say otherwise. He did mention that he had seen Ernie Wright (HQ Coy) recently, and had urged him to become financial with the Association. (No response so far, Mick - Ed.)

Les Perry (D Coy) sent in a couple of years Subs from Narrandera and potted Athol Charlesworth (D Coy) who visited Les towards the end of last year. Athol and Thelma had a World Tour in mid 1972 and managed to be in England when the Cricket Tests were on. Thelma avers that although Athol enjoyed seeing Massie go through the Poms at Lords, he displayed tremendous interest in the strip tease act on the Continent. (Although you urged him to come good with some news of the trip, Les, he hasn't responded to date  - Ed.)

Neil Huntley (B Coy) was full of apologies when he wrote in from Port Macquarie well before Christmas - it had taken him a whole three days to get around to answering the Circular, so he fined himself the price of the Reunion Dinner and sent it in as a donation. He and Molly were both well, and were then about to leave for Wagga, for the Christmas holidays.

Bill Lamping (A Coy) apparently doesn't believe in having to worry about sending in Subs each year, so he dashed off a sizeable cheque and sent it in with a whole seven words on the attached Circular. His effort resulted in him being paid up for ten years, while we received a nice donation from the surplus. He must be O.K., as he didn't say otherwise.

On the other hand, Ray Streatfeild (B Coy) used up the back of the Circular when he sent in his Subs plus a very nice donation. After expressing appreciation of MAKAN, Ray mentioned that he and Joyce, and the two youngest boys, had spent a couple of weeks in the Snowy Area during December last, at Buckenderra on Lake Eucumbene. While there, Ray reckons they decorated the bed of the Lake with quite a lot of fishing gear, without getting any fish, but they enjoyed the visit thoroughly.

Lady Galleghan has joined the 'naughty but nice' group by sending in a donation for MAKAN. She recently moved to a new Unit at Cremorne (see Amendments to List) and as she was in Adelaide for Anzac Day, we were unable to give our customary salute as we passed the Legacy Post in Martin Place. Lady Galleghan mentioned the kindness and courtesy - to the point of V.I.P. treatment - she received in Adelaide and subsequently from the R.S.L. at Broken Hill, which she feels was undoubtedly a further tribute to the memory of B.J.

Incidentally and on a personal note, Lady Galleghan was recently honoured when she was invited to unveil a Memorial to Henry Kendall, at Kendall. Her father, a great admirer of Kendall, "Australia's Singing Poet", who lived in Kendall at one time, had named Lady Galleghan 'Persia' after one of Kendall's daughters. At the unveiling of a beautiful rock garden and fountain on 18th April last, Lady Galleghan was pleased to make contact with Neil Huntley (B Coy) who attended the Ceremony.

Keith Chapman (A Coy) was pretty brief when sending in his Subs but he did mention that twin son and daughter turned 21 on 31st March, and the daughter was getting married on 22nd September next. He also advised a qualifying entry in the Grandpa Stakes with a two-year old grandson who lives in New Zealand, so Chappie has only seen him once. Chappie also advised the address of Dick Henderson (B Coy) who lives in Toowoomba. (A letter to him hasn't produced any results to date - Ed.)

A recent edition of the "Pacific Islands Monthly" carried an article of interest to us, and we quote:

"Last year at the Fun in the Sun Carnival at Cairns, Queensland, a world championship coconut husking championship was held. The winner husked one coconut in six seconds and the result, then believed to be a world record, is to be entered in the Guinness Book of Records. Now comes news from Tonga that the real champion lives there. His name is Paula Alo and he husked 54 nuts in five minutes, which works out at 5 seconds per nut.

"Paula was discovered by Mr. Len Barnes of Plantation Chinta, Bramston Beach, North Queensland, who is the only commercial coconut grower in Australia. Mr. Barnes and his wife were holidaying in Tonga when he became interested in the speed of the coconut huskers at the Tonga Coconut Board processing plant outside Nuku'alofa. He organised a competition, with startling results, and is thinking of sponsoring a visit of a Tonga champion at the next Fun in the Sun Festival at Cairns.

Thelma Simpson has just about given up all hope of getting Curley (A Coy) to put pen to paper, which is probably just as well for us, as we get a bit of news when Thelma sends the Subs in from Minnamurra.

Curley is still not the best, but manages to keep going with regular injections, and in addition to the garden he has recently acquired some gear and is currently keen on beach fishing so keen on practising casting that he flipped the top off his rod and ended up with sore shoulder muscles; while he has a habit of smelling the car out with rotten beach worms. Thelma is keen on painting, and she and Jack shoot through upon occasions in their Kombi Camp mobile, looking for landscapes for Thelma to paint, while Jack takes over the cooking chores.

With three grandsons and one granddaughter, the Simpson's are well qualified in the Grandpa Stakes. Daughter Sandra and her husband Wes have produced the three boys, and Wes seems to be kept pretty busy with Civil Defence jobs of Ambulance Officer at the Steel Works, Fire Officer at Dunmore, and football coach for 11 year-olds. Son Stephen and wife Georgia have produced the girl, and Stephen is foreman of the local factory.

Thelma repeated her request for any of the boys passing through to call on them - Minnamurra is only a short way off the Highway, through the Kiama golf course. The Simpson's apparently make a good home brew, so it could well be worth a visit.

When we saw Alan Charlton (HQ Coy) at the Gemas Day Commemoration, he was about to enter Wollongong Hospital for a bit of patching up, but it turned out to be much more complicated and required a couple of operations and a fairly lengthy spell in Hospital. However, things are now on the up and up, and Alan was full of praise for the nurses who looked after him.

Alan will have to lay off wood chopping for a while, but mentioned that Bob (Ack Ack) Martin (HQ Coy) has been chopping his way into the money in recent times. On a recent visit to Bob, Alan and Yvonne called in on Stew Blow (HQ Coy) at Berry, at a time when Stewart "was of course delactosing his pet cows."

Alan is in charge of the Accounts Payable Section of the Accounts Department of Metal Manufacturers; and Yvonne works in the Bedding Dept at David Jones in Wollongong, where she sees Doug Blanshard (A Coy) upon occasions, when he calls on business - Yvonne one time went to introduce Doug to Alan.

A keen photographer, who does his own processing, Alan intends to bring his camera to next Gemas Day to record it fully.

Karl Sinclair (D Coy) is not getting any younger, and with his poor eyesight is about on a par with the Editor. Writing from Armidale, Karl had some nice things to say about MAKAN and some exceptionally nice things to say about the sterling qualities
exhibited by Alex Dandie (HQ Coy) in particular at "Kobe House" in Japan. Although the incidents are well worthy of recording, it is not intended to embarrass Alex by repeating them, though they are certainly a fine example of the Spirit of the Regiment
and the bonds which have kept us together for all these years.
Don McKenzie (C Coy) finally got around to giving us some news when sending in his Subs from Lismore. After having some nice things to say about MAKAN and. the List of Members, Don went on to say:

"In the Grandpa Stakes, I'm afraid Tom Kennedy (C Coy) has left me far behind. However, I am quite proud of my four grandsons and three granddaughters - and the expectation of a new edition within the next week or so.

"My eldest daughter, Norma, an ex-school teacher, is the mother of three sons. She and her husband Bryson have been back in Australia for about 18 months after 2 years in Canada, where Bryson did his PhD. He is with the Department of Agriculture, and the prime mover on a new method of selling pig meats. No doubt some of our Rural members will hear of him in this field, as Dr. B. R. Wilson. They live here in Lismore.

"Marcia, our second daughter, has one son and two daughters. They spent the first five years of their marriage in Narrabri where Reg, her husband, worked for Auscot. However, they are now in Lismore, with Reg working as Bar Steward in the Workers' Club.

"Lois, No. 3, is living in West Wyalong where her husband Allan has just been promoted to Manager. They have one daughter, and are expecting their new arrival on Anzac Day.

"No. 4 is our only son (22) and he is currently in Sydney going from job to job. Some day, we hope, he will find the one which suits him.

"Our youngest, Jean, married about 12 months, is also in Sydney where she has a job in Coles Store at Parramatta. Her husband, Gerry, is a motor mechanic."

Noel Johnston (HQ Coy) recently had a holiday on the Far North Coast, and he reported:

"While up in the Lismore District early in April, I was able to call and visit a few of the boys. Although I would have liked to have included all those on your List, it was not possible to do that. The most pleasing thing to report was that all were looking well, and said they were feeling well.

The only exception was Carl Odgers, whom I found had been admitted to Hospital in Kyogle the day before. Even Carl was looking pretty good, but his ticker had given him the turn and they popped him back in Hospital.

"Earlier that same afternoon I called in on Clarrie Lattimer at his job at an Auctioneers Office in the main street. Clarrie keeps pretty good health - a case of "have to" - Gladys Odgers was telling me he is looking after some grandchildren now - just to keep his hand in. It was the first time I had seen Clarrie since we returned home. He seems rarely to get away from Kyogle.

"Down at Brunswick Heads, Janet and I called in to see Harry Riches, and had a yarn with Harry and Dot for over an hour before we had to move out. Harry obviously enjoys these calls from any of the boys passing through, and recalled Ron Chipps' visit a few weeks back. He has a lovely home and garden, and has no trouble catching a feed of fish when he wants them. Harry did say he saw Nugget Crummy recently, and Nugget then was not in the best of health, although obviously acquiring some odd pickings here and there.

"Two others I saw were Ernie McNiven at Bangalow and Ossie Jackson on the roadside at Binna Burra. I never go past there without stopping, and this goes back some 20 years or more now. Ernie looks well, despite his busy routine (as Ossie mentioned to me) a service station, a milk run, a poultry farm (or piggery), the local fire brigade and sundry community efforts.

"Ossie had been to see the Repat Doctor in Lismore, and seems to be in the middle of the roundabout to have his pension reviewed. I rather think about 20 years of unsuccessful dieting is having its toll with some high blood pressure and emphysema, but Ossie is as cheerful as ever, whilst brother Mick is always ready to fill in any gaps of good cheer, if he gets the chance.

"We took a run down to Ballina from Lismore on the Saturday afternoon, and although feeling little hope of finding Bruce Greer in, we called, and were told by Billie that he had gone fishing in a competition that could last all night. Nevertheless, Bruce put a 'phone call through to Lismore the following morning and we had quite a chat. He says he has never felt in better health, and enjoys the Ballina environment from his flat on top of a complex of about six other units that he rents for his livelihood.

"Coming back home from Lismore, we veered off the main road at Coraki, to call on Fred Arnett at his Pub on the river front. Fred has a manager to look after things for him, but apart from overweight problems is in reasonably good health. We talked of old times and great comrades like George Christoff and others. I only wished I could have stayed longer, but a call on Fred is a must to anyone passing through Coraki.

'"It seems that our call on Don Garner at Nambucca Heads was a 'first' from anyone of the 2/30th. Don and his wife Judy certainly made us most welcome, and over dinner with them that evening the talk was all about 2/30th days at the various historical spots of our service together. Naturally, B.J. figured largely in the stories, especially from Don, about the travail of junior subalterns, or "warts" as the Old Man was wont to call them. Don has a large Motel (Flag) about a mile and a half along the river from Nambucca Heads and is a busy man. Rather is it a busy man/wife situation with long hours, constant

supervision and management problems.

"Don was anxious that I should mention that he and Judy would love anyone from the 2/30th passing by to drop in and see them. Incidentally, Don and Judy have three children - Elizabeth is at Sydney Teachers College, David is aiming to be a T.V. Technician and Anne is still at Primary School, but not for much longer - they are a lovely family.

“Janet and I got back last Monday, just a couple of days to spare before our 40th or ruby wedding anniversary, and in plenty of time to be with the boys on Anzac Day."

Noel had some nice things to say about the List of Members, and how handy it is when away on a trip.

Thelma Jones (widow of Bill) was quite naughty, but extremely nice when she wrote in and enclosed a very sizeable donation to help, MAKAN along. She was also kind enough to bring us up to date with the news.

Thelma works with the A.B.C. News, where she is, kept pretty busy; but she was proud to announce her entry in the "Grandma Stakes", with one granddaughter and three grandsons. She continued the news with:

"Our eldest son Bill) is still in the Army, and has been posted to Wewak, Papua/New Guinea. for two years service, so I will not see very much of him, his wife and three children for ages. Son No. 2 is married, and they have a gorgeous two year old. No. 3 was married to a delightful red-head last month. So I am well in the Grandma Stakes.

"I went for a Cruise at Christmas to Singapore and other places. It is quite fantastic now. It is still a Tourist City, only more so, and I think they have a lot to thank Mr. Lee for."

Thelma was kind enough to have some nice things to say about MAKAN, and she sent her kindest regards to all.

Bob Dickson (HQ Coy) sent in a few years Subs early in January, and was pretty brief with his accompanying remarks; but he at least used the back of the Circular. Bob doesn't enjoy the best of health, and his failing eyesight has qualified him for membership of the Partially Blinded Soldiers Association, while he is also a T.P.I.. He sent his regards to all his old mates.

George Stephenson (HQ Coy) also promptly returned his Circular from Mollymook with his Subs plus, and had some nice things to say about MAKAN, which keeps him up to date with news of the boys, particularly as he now finds it difficult to get to Sydney for Reunions and Anzac Day. He sent his warmest regards.

Ashley Pascoe (B Coy) was one of the early ones to send his Sub in, and included Seasonal Greetings with his accompanying letter. He is one of our good correspondents and never fails to raise some matter of interest.

Ashley remarked on the number of reports in MAKAN of our members who are apparently doing very well, with children at Universities and Colleges; and he wondered how many were suffering ill-fortune, and whether anyone ever does anything about them. The answer is "Yes", Ashley. We do not have the funds to indulge in large scale charity works, and the helping hands are given by individual members of the Association. Because we do not have any desire to embarrass either the recipient or the Good Samaritan, all such acts which come to notice are never nor will they ever be published; but you may rest assured that the comradeship which exists amongst the members of the Association - and has stood the test of time - is often expressed in a very practical manner, and is not merely a lip service.

Ashley mounted his charger and defended several of his favourite subjects, and while MAKAN does not agree with many of his views, we do agree with Ashley's inviolable right to have them, and expound them; but regret that the pages of MAKAN are not available, while the present Editor occupies the chair at least, for the printing of what is considered contentious matter.

Our Cecilie, wife of Jack Boss (HQ Coy) has been far from well of late, necessitating Hospitalisation. However, Jack informed us on Anzac Day that she was now on the up and up, and we all join in wishing her a complete and speedy recovery.

Lyn Booth (A Coy) was pretty brief when he sent in his Subs, but he did use the back of the Circular to let us know that he and Betty have qualified for the Grandpa Stakes with their eldest daughter, living at C.S.R.'s Hambledon Mill, outside Cairns, presenting them with a grandson early last year. Their two eldest boys are working with B.P. Oil and the Commonwealth Bank respectively, and the remaining boy and girl are still at School and look like draining the Booth resources for a few years to come.

Lyn retired from C.S.R., after 36 years with them, to take up his new duties last November following his appointment as a Commissioner of the Commonwealth Arbitration and Conciliation Commission and also as Commonwealth Public Service Arbitrator. What with this and that, and our affluent society, Lyn is probably kept quite busy these days.

Wyn couldn't get Len Clavan (HQ Coy) to do much about it, so she sprang a few years Subs for him, and accompanied the remittance with a note from Tintenbar. Len still does his Stock Inspecting and Wyn, a trained nurse, works in a Doctor's Surgery in Ballina. The Clavan's have two married daughters living in Canberra, and a qualifying entry with one granddaughter in the Grandpa Stakes. Their son, Dallas (14) lives at home and is already 5'8" tall, and is very keen on Scouting. Wyn hopes that any of the boys going through will give them a call. Tintenbar is only 7 miles North of Ballina, and an  enquiry at the Ballina R.S.L. will provide directions for finding the Clavan's, while Wyn can be contacted at the Doctor's Surgery (Bal.86 2511)


The Battalion Bowls afternoon was held under ideal weather conditions, at Rydalmere Central Bowling Club, on Sunday 20th May and was attended by Jack Maclay, George Winchester, Snowy Mason, Snowy Stevens, Vince Leonard and Kevin Ward, with apologies from a further four players who could not make it at the last minute. The Bowlers played triples and were urged on by Joe and Georgina Geoghegan, Win Mason and Dorothy and Patricia Ward. All those present dined and had afternoon tea at the Club and after the bowls, Vince Leonard entertained the Club at the grand piano. It is also recorded that Georgina Geoghegan and George Winchester had a most profitable afternoon as a result of their visits to the machines.

The organisers intend to arrange another afternoon during October - details will appear in subsequent MAKANS.


Kevin Ward reports the State as at 23rd May:
In R.G.H., Concord:

Sandy Christensen (HQ Coy)

In other Institutions:

Harry Law (A Coy)

Discharged from R.G.H., Concord since last MAKAN:

Ben Pearce (D Coy), Ian Grace (A Coy), Vince Leonard (HQ Coy), Fred Edwards (HQ Coy), Ray Duncombe (HQ Coy), Ron Hilder (HQ Coy)


Back to 1973 index or Main Index