Back to 1973 index or Main Index

Makan No. 207
March/April, 1973


Subscription Rate: $1.50 per Year

Registered for Posting as Periodical: Category A




The Meeting will be held this year on 13th April next at 8 p.m. at the Combined Services R.S.L. Club, 5 Barrack Street, Sydney; and a good roll-up is requested. As usual, arrangements have been made for those wishing to dine at the Club at 6.30 p.m. prior to the Meeting; while those who wish to may gather in the Barrack Bar from 5.30 p.m. onwards.

In order to comply with Licensing Laws, and to save time with registration when you arrive, will those who will be attending at the Barrack Bar for the meal or for the Meeting only, or for all three, please 'phone Bruce Ford (Business 25 6741, Home 50 8936) up to the morning of 13th April, and let him know your intention re attendance; and, you will then be able to give your name to the Doorman upon arrival and proceed straight on. However, should you turn up without having 'phoned, give your name and ask the Doorman for either Jack Black or Bruce Ford.

A Supplement is enclosed with this MAKAN which contains Notice of the Meeting, the Annual Report and Financial Statements, and is in handy form to bring to the Meeting with you.

Having perused an advance copy of the Report, after paying tribute to the Office Bearers and the Committee for their continued good work, our Patron had the following comments to make:

"I have read with interest the various issues of MAKAN throughout the Year and the Annual Report now presented to you, and I feel that we have done more than merely consolidate during 1972.

The bonds of friendship and a sense of responsibility which bound us together in those difficult, dark days, have continued to grow and expand; and this is exemplified, and so often reported on in MAKAN, by attendances at various Gatherings and the selfless service given by so many of our members in the various activities of the communities in which they live. Many of our members are associated with Legacy, the R.S.L. and other organisations where they have held, and continue to hold high executive positions; while Life Membership, a jealously guarded honour, has been conferred by the R.S.L. on many of them.

I am honoured to be associated with you as your Patron, and I pray that the Association and its members may long be spared to continue their good works".


Last year we mustered 100 at the Rallying Point for the March, and we would like to see a few more this year. Although nothing has yet been published, arrangements are sure to be the same as last year; and we will gather in Macquarie Street, in the vicinity of the Registrar General's Department, from, say 9.30 onwards. Although we do not, as a rule, move off for at least an hour after that, it gives us a good opportunity to meet old friends and indulge in those tall stories.

Stan Arneil will carry the Banner and Noel Johnston will lead the Battalion; and strange though it may seem, it is the first time that Stan has had the honour as Standard Bearer. If for no other reason, or at least to show Horsey how much we appreciated his sterling efforts during the many years he piloted our Association as its Hon. Secretary and MAKAN Editor, let us on this occasion present him with a mighty throng to accompany him on the brief but impressive March.

We have again been fortunate in having reserved for our use after the March (from 12 noon onwards) the Upstairs Lounge Bar at the Forbes Tavern, corner of King and York Streets, for our usual Get-together. On this occasion, we hope to have with us at the Tavern, all those representatives of the original 30th Bn. who are able to make the March, or merely turn up at the Forbes Tavern. This is something which should have been done years ago, and we are looking forward to hearing some tall true stories about the First World War, which will most likely cap our usual efforts.


Last year we were represented by Country members, and though we will have representatives from the City for the forthcoming Anzac Day, we would like to see some of our Country members turn up to swell the ranks. To attend at the Dawn Service, the Morning Service at the Carillon Memorial and the special Afternoon Service at our Cairn opposite the entrance to the old Camp site is an experience which cannot fail to impress all of our members who participate; and attendance at all or any of those services is thoroughly recommended to all who can possibly manage it.

We have been advised that Harry Head and John Kreckler will be making the trip this year and they would like a few others to accompany them. Would anyone who can make the trip, please give Bruce Ford a 'phone call (Office: 25 6741, Home: 50 8936) by 13th April. Bruce will arrange accommodation, if required,, but will need to have the prior notice sought in order to do so.


Aegean, the "wine dark sea" of Homer's song, was the great proving ground for heroes from the time of the Trojan War to the dawn of the first Anzac Day.

This ancient sea, and the lands that cradled it, formed the arena in classic times for the epic feats of Achaean warriors, god-like in their bravery and physical strength. Here, under cloud gathering Olympus, drama was set with "a kingdom for a stage, princes to act, and kings to view the swelling scene." .

The tradition of ANZAC was born hard by those shores where Achilles and mighty Agamemnon strove. Could any time, or any place in the past three thousand years give a greater setting for the slow-strung tows, the open boats of soldiers that inched shoreward in the dawn of that first Anzac Day?

Farewell great hearts, gathered now with heroes.
When will their glory fade?
While men can feel the stirrings of a common brotherhood
their sacrifice will live and outlast the siege of time.
For while men pursue many courses, it is the love

of honour alone that stays always young.

"When the moment came they were minded to resist and suffer rather than fly and save their lives; they ran away from the word of dishonour, but on the battlefield their feet stood fast, and in an instant, at the height of their fortune, they passed away from the scene, not of their fear, but of their glory."

(From Thucydides 'The Peloponnesian War': Funeral Oration of Pericles.)
Andy Hyslop


The Annual Reunion Dinner was held at Lismore on 10th February last, and we received a report from our F.N.C. Correspondent, who advised:

There were about 90 at the Dinner, which was held in the R.S.L. Club in Lismore. After assembling at the Memorial Baths at 5.30 p.m., where there was a wreath-laying Ceremony conducted by Archdeacon J.V.J. Robinson, we walked across to the Club for the Dinner. The Dinner was an excellent smorgasbord, and after each helping themselves, we were able to sit at beautifully set tables and proceed to enjoy both the meal and beer or wine.

Some of the familiar faces from the 2/30 lines were:- Bob and Shirley Robinson (B Coy). Bob of course has that 2/30 failing - he puts out the hand and takes the dollars as each Digger walks by. Len and Wyn Clavan (HQ Coy), Norm and Raema Watkins (A Coy) Artie and Nancy Power (D Coy). Also up for the Do, from Greta, our little gentleman, Alf Carroll; and it was great to see him again. Dadda Olley (D Coy) and Noel Hampton (B Coy), both on their own; Bill and Flo Sorenson (D Coy); Jack Korn (A Coy); Ron and Gwen Sweeney (C Coy), and to add a touch of nostalgia to the proceedings, Ron once again serenaded the boys and their wives. Jim and Francie Small (C Coy); Keith Richardson (HQ Coy), Joe and Sybil Johnston (D Coy). The lads were very honoured to have two of our mates' widows in attendance: Eva Standing from Lismore, accompanied by her youngest son, Charles and his wife; Gwen; and also Althea Fraser from Bonalbo. The boys look forward to being able to entertain the widows of their mates, and also to renew acquaintances. Apologies were received from Russ and Marcia Mackie (HQ Coy) who had a previous engagement and also our old friends Big Harry and Dot Riches (HQ Coy) - Harry was up in Glen Innes taming a few Murray Grey Bulls for a sale. Both Russ and Harry and their wives were missed, as they are regulars at these functions.

As these Reunions cover both German and Japanese Ps O.W., there are other familiar faces who attend, including 2/18 Bn. chaps, and to whom we always look forward to seeing. Amongst them were:- Dennis Kelly, former President of the Association, came up from Kempsey; Jim Crawford and Vi; Jack Darville, Past President (German P.O.W.); Arthur Jux, Present President (also German P.O.W.); Darby Robson, Kyogle, also John Llewellyn; and the Crouch family from the Gold Coast.

This year they had no official Guest Speaker, and I feel that we did miss out on not having one. However, that is just my view, but there are certain formalities that one must have at these touching Dinners, to give that added dignity.

These functions are always friendly and informal, and we would very much like to see a few faces from the South up this way. Accommodation is no problem, as there are any amount of us who are only too happy to make our homes available. (Having spent a week or so in the area and enjoyed their hospitality, I can confirm this - Ed.)

Have just thought: Bob and Jean Ralston always bring Althea Fraser to our Dinners. If I have missed mentioning anyone, I ask their forgiveness - I will have to take a notebook and make a few notes on future occasions.


Special Singapore Memorial Services were held on Sundays 11th February at St. Andrew's and St. Mary's Cathedrals, and we were represented at St. Andrew's by Noel Johnston.

A Memorial Service and Wreath Laying was also held at the Cenotaph at 7 p.m. on 15th February, at which Alan Pryde was, our Official Representative. Alan reports:

The Ceremony was simple, and very much along the pattern we had followed, as an individual Group, on our Gemas Day Function of former years. About 100 personnel were in the short march and approximately another 30 were standing by the Cenotaph with wreaths. It seemed there were very few wives, Next-of-Kin or children in the vicinity, and the general impression was that it was rather a forlorn Ceremony. Hon. Sec., Bruce Ford, Committee Members Jack Black and Bruce Upcroft, and Alan McNickle were also in attendance to help swell our representation and to see any of their old acquaintances who were able to get along.


David Tracy Clarke (C Coy). He died suddenly at R.G.H., Concord on 21st February last from a cerebral haemorrhage, at the comparatively early age of 53. Like most of us, David had his ups and downs and suffered from various complaints, but he was in Hospital for D.& R., largely in connection with aches and pains from spondylitis, when his tragic death occurred.

An original member of C Coy, where he was noted for his athletic ability in Bn. Sports, David was a minor casualty at Gemas, when he suffered shell blast. Indifferent health at Changi kept him off the major Work Parties, but he did his stint on a Tunnelling Party from Adam Park towards the end of the War.

Following his return to Australia, he married his wife, Hillarie in 1946, and for many years was a Sales Representative of Cadbury's Chocolates; and of later years, of Combined Confectionery.

Essentially a family man, of simple and sincere tastes and habits, he took an active interest in the Association, where he served for some years on the Executive Committee, and in his local R.S.L. He was particularly interested in Youth Club Activities. He was particularly thrilled with the birth of his granddaughter, Abigail, who arrived just prior to his untimely and sudden death and whom, unfortunately, he was not privileged to see.

At the Service at the Northern Suburbs Crematorium on 23rd February, unfortunately our President was tied up with Legal matters and could not attend, but we were represented by our Patron Colonel George Ramsay ED, Vice-President Bob Jack, Stan Arneil, Eric Arps, Jack Black, Jack Boss, Les Hall, Sammy Hall, Noel Johnston, Johnnie Parsons, Alan Pryde, Bruce Upcroft, Kevin Ward, Doc Wilson, Phil Schofield, Lady Galleghan and Chub Ramsay; and our numbers were at least doubled by members of the Dee Why Sub Branch R.S.L. and Club.

He is survived by his widow, Hillarie, daughter Dawn who is married with husband Peter- and daughter Abigail, son Peter and daughter Robyn and Kathryn; and to them we extend our deepest sympathy.

We were also saddened to learn of the death on 3rd January last of Eveline Preoris Peach, at the age of 85 years, mother of Stuart Peach (BHQ). To Stuart, his sisters and their families, we extend our deepest sympathy.

We were also saddened to learn of the death, on 10th March last of John Ritchie McKellar Miller, at the age of 88 years, father of Ruth (wife of Stewart Blow - HQ Coy). To Ruth and Stewart and their families, we extend our deepest sympathy.



Kevin Ward reports the State as at 28th March:

In R.G.H., Concord:
Ron Hilder (HQ Coy)

In other Institutions:

Harry Law (A Coy) who is reported to be making some progress.

Discharged from R.G.H., Concord since last MAKAN:
Jim Saunderson (B Coy), Vince Leonard (HQ Coy), Don Devey (HQ Coy), Ron Moore (B Coy), Mrs Jenny Pope.

Discharged from Wollongong District Hospital:
Alan Charlton (HQ Coy).

R.G.H., Concord have installed a computer, which, in theory, should make it easier for Kevin to catch up with any of our Bn. boys in residence; but it often doesn't work out that way. One of its chief deficiencies was the practice of NOT recording the Unit from which the patient came, which meant that Kevin sometimes got a "Nil" report upon enquiry, when in fact we had someone from the Bn. in there.

Although they have agreed to ask for and include the Unit in their particulars, it would help if members made sure that this was in fact done when they are furnishing particulars upon being admitted. Better still, get a 'phone call through to Kevin or drop him a note when you are going in.


Eric and Betty Stone (HQ Coy) recently returned from a 16 day Jetaway Qantas tour of Malaya and Singapore, and can thoroughly recommend it as a reasonably priced and enjoyable holiday.

They had two days in Singapore upon arrival, and a further five days after returning from a tour of Malaya, which embraced Penang, K.L., Malacca, Maur and Yong Peng. Like other recent visitors, Eric found the whole face of Singapore changed, with a lot of high-rise buildings where swamps used to be and lots of the landmarks as we knew them completely effaced. The traffic was chaotic, and it would take a brave man to attempt to ride in a rickshaw or trishaw.

Just before going to Press, Tom Davis (D Coy) sent in a report on a very recent visit he and Marj also had to Malaya via Qantas Jetaway, and they confirmed the recommendations of Eric and Betty Stone.

Strangely enough, Tom and Marj caught up with Keith and Joan Broughton (HQ Coy) and teamed up with them for the balance of the trip. They also confirmed the chaotic traffic, mentioning in particular the hair-raising experience of travelling by the coach from K.L., with a driver who just didn't believe in staying behind another vehicle, and drove so recklessly that even experienced Sydney Taxi Driver, Keith, wore out his finger nails biting them and gripping the panic rail. Keith reckoned the driver was completely mad.

When the quartet decided to hire a car and do a trip around the Gaol, Reservoir, Bukit Batok, Kranji Cemetery and places in between, the balance of the party persuaded them to hire a bus, which they did, and Tom and Keith were the guides for the 34 who filled the bus; all of whom wanted to visit Changi and the Cemetery (such are their fame) although none of them had any particular associations with Ps O.W.

Tom confirmed the change in the face of Singapore and advised that the Great World, Happy World, New World and Old World are no more, while Lavender Street is the name of a street which now only lived in its past memories.      Even Change Alley is not the fun it used to be to buy in."

Tom and Marj arrived back just in time for the wedding of their No. 1 son, who was married in Cobar on 10th March; and amongst the wedding guests were Uncle Reg and Aunty Madge Napper (D. Coy)
Jim Macdougall's column in the Daily Telegraph of 15/2/73 contained an interesting paragraph, and we quote:

"Fred Deer is Sydney's barrister extraordinaire. Not because of the number of briefs he has had, but rather because of the number of briefs he has NOT had. In fact, he has had only two in all his legal career. The second occasion was last Friday when he was briefed to move the admission of Miss Diana Thorburn as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court. A third occasion will (hopefully) be in about five years. Diana's young brother Angus was enrolled in Law at the University of New South Wales the day, his sister was admitted to the Supreme Court. The first occasion Fred Deer was briefed was 32 years ago when Fred moved the admission of Archibald J. K. Thorburn, of Mervyn Finlay, Thorburn and Marshall. Archie Thorburn is the father of the aforesaid Diana and Angus. But Fred Deer does not fret over the briefs that do not come his way, for he is A. F. Deer, Director and General Manager of the mighty and all-pervading M.L.C."

When forwarding a report on the Ex-P.O.W. Reunion Dinner at Lismore on 10th February last, our F.N.C. Correspondent includ ed some other news.

Joe Johnston (D.Coy) was re-elected President of the F. N. C. Council of R.S.L. Sub-Branches on 16th February, and was off to attend a State Council Meeting of Delegates at Tamworth, where he hoped to make contact with Wal Eather and Phil Bailey, and others of the Tamworth Gang.

Margaret, daughter of Bob and Bette Wells (D Coy) has been chosen to go to the U.S.A, on Rotary Student Plan Education Study. Margaret is not the first of the 2/30 children to go on such Scholarships. Suzanne, eldest daughter of Ron and Gwen Sweeney (C Coy) was over there four or five years ago, and since returning has been through Teachers College. She taught School for several years, and is now trying her talent in Real Estating on the Gold Coast. (Frank Bladwell - son of Fred and Grace -is one)

George Johnston (C Coy) and his wife and family called in on Joe Johnston (D Coy) and Ossie Jackson (D Coy) when on his way home to Innisfail. George was reported as being well, and looking forward to leading an easier life now that he has retired.

Ken Parry (D Coy) wrote in from Darwin, N.T. and advised having moved there from Brisbane at the beginning of the year, when he took up duties as Regional Director of his Department in the Northern Territory - all 532,000 square miles of it! His appointment is for a term of three years, so he and Betty have Ken Jnr (14 years) with them; but daughter, Lyndell will be remaining in Brisbane in order to continue her Social Studies Degree Course at the Queensland University.

Eldest son, Ross, now a Dentist in the R.A.N. in Sydney, was married on 23rd December last, and Ken reckons that Ross' wife, Susan (a School Teacher) is a real charmer. Ross and Susan intend to leave for the U.K. on a working holiday as soon as Ross completes his term with the Navy, at the end of this year. At about the same time, Ken, Betty and Ken Jnr plan to visit Singapore for a few weeks.

Although the cost of living in Darwin is shocking, Ken finds the amenities and the booze excellent, and while the other members of the family have to accustom themselves to the climate, it invokes in Ken memories of some 30 years ago.

Betty Wallwork had to do the right thing by Martin (HQ Coy) and when she sent in his Subs - sufficient to keep him from worrying for a few years - she was good enough to add some news.

Of their family of six girls and two boys, Janet (19) has just finished her second year of Nursing at Murwillumbah Hospital. Russell (18) has a job as an apprentice to a plasterer. Helen (15) is doing Fourth Year and has her sights on the School Certificate, as she also hopes to do Nursing. Anne will be 14 in May, and she is in Second Year at High School. Joan (12 also in May) is in 6th Class; Ruth (9 in June) 3rd Class and John (6) is in 1st Class. That leaves Clare, who is 4 and will be off to School next year.

Martin is still in the Banana game, and Betty often wonders why as the work is hard, and the returns have been pretty poor of late. Martin's health in itself is O.K., but his back plays up and his feet get very swollen at times. Mart's brother, Frank (D Coy) lives at Bangalow with another brother, Jim. They are bachelors, and Frank, like Mart, has his ups and downs.

Martin's mother and father are 84 years old, and will have been married for 58 years in September next. They have plenty of grandchildren, but no great-grandchildren as yet.

Snow Hampton (B.Coy) sent in a couple of years Subs, with a bit extra as a Donation, and advised change of address from Liverpool back to Ballina - Snow reckons Liverpool is too cold for his liking.

Jim McIntosh (A Coy) sent in his Subs from Canberra,where he is stilll teaching at the Technical College; though he may possibly consider retirement at the end of this year.

He spent three weeks in Canberra Hospital in November last, with a recurrence of osteomyelitis in a war wound, but after taking in huge quantities of penicillen, he now appears to be O.K, once more. He even advised some particulars of the family which he and Enid have reared: Eldest son, Stuart (25) works in the Dept. of the Navy; daughter, Susan (22) is training as a Nurse in the Royal Melbourne Hospital and youngest son, David (16); is doing his Higher School Certificate this year.

Vic Hamlin (C Coy) put pen to paper and sent in his Subs, plus, from Boree Creek. Since Vic has not married, he had to do the writing himself, so it was very brief and was confined to sending his regards and hoping he could make it to the next Reunion in Sydney.

Although Gwen normally attends to the Lawty (C Coy) correspondence, Ted actually sent his Subs in, and took sufficient time off to advise that they are all well up at Narrabri. Ted quit the Building Trade and is working "filling in his time" at the local Hospital on maintenance work. As it is shift work, it gives him more time to look after his birds and his garden, though the garden apparently was not taking much time to look after as the hot weather cleaned up most of his dahlias. Ted mentioned that Bob Gibbs had been in Hospital for a few days with a slight heart attack, but that he now appeared to be O.K.

Arthur Piper (B Coy) sent in enough from Orange to cover a couple of years Subs plus a Donation, and advised that he had had a bit of a rough spin at R.G.H., Concord with a blood clot in his lung; and he has to wear surgical stockings for the rest of his life, on account of clots in his legs.

He advised that son, John, was married last June, after he finished National Service and is now back at his job as a linesman with the P.M.G. Dept. (No news of any other family, or whether he and Wilma have yet qualified for the Grandpa Stakes - Ed.)

Arthur wishes to thank all those who called to see himwhile he was in Ward 510, and sent his regards to all his old mates.

Paddles Clune (A Coy) sent in enough from Taree to keep him out of trouble for quite a while. He advised that the Clune family was still very much alive and kicking, and that he continues to work at the Hospital.

With six Bowling Clubs and an R.S.L. in a radius of six miles from their home, he reckons that there is plenty to entertain a visitor, and he and Una have plenty of room, so they would welcome any of the boys going through and wanting somewhere to stay for a night or so.

George Gough (BHQ) hasn't been the best of late, though he reckons Nan is able to cope with him after a six weeks spell at Toukley, where he picked up considerably. Their only son, Robert, has finished his trade as a letter press printer machinist and is doing well.

When sending in Tom Grant's (C Coy) Subs from Murwillumbah, Norma advised that Tom has been a 'sick chick' of late, and was then in Greenslopes Hospital. However, he has shown great improvement and was expected home by the end of February.

Ray Rickards (C Coy) was pretty brief with his note covering his Subs, probably due to the fact that he had just been able to return to work after 9 weeks off with a ruptured heart muscle. However, he appears to be on the up and up again.

Margaret had to do the chores, and send in enough from Wyong to keep Len Roberts (HQ Coy) out of trouble for a couple of years. She also heeded the Editor's plea and wrote a very newsy covering letter.

Len has not been the best for some time past, though he looks fit enough, despite his bad nerves and rheumatism. Following a bad spell of three months sickness in 1970, with both of them in Hospital at the one time, Len and Margaret bought a caravan and took off for Queensland in the Winter of 1971. They covered about 5,000 miles over a period of 11 weeks, and got as far North as Daintree. They saw Len and Honey Barnes (HQ Coy) at Plantation Chinta. On the way home they took every opportunity to make contact with the boys living in Coastal areas, and saw a lot of them.

Len and Margaret have a 25 year old son, Vawn, who shot off three years ago on a working holiday, and after enthusing over the Thai girls on his way over, he met a South African girl in Europe and ended up in her home Town, Port Elizabeth, South Africa, where he now works for General Motors . He is now building a home there and intends to marry towards the end of this year; and may make it to Australia for a honeymoon trip.

Susanne (21) graduated as a nursing Sister at St. Vincent's in 1971 and proceeded to do a full-time course at the Sydney Tech, where she graduated as a tracer. She was married on 24th February last, and will settle in Sydney with her husband.

Terry O'Rourke (C Coy) was, as usual, pressed for time, so his note was very sketchy when sending in his Subs from Narrandera. However, he did advise that a small group gathered for wreath laying at the local Cenotaph on 15th Fenruary. Amongst the gathering were Keith and Ruth Mulholland (D Coy), Les and Margaret Perry (D Coy), Terry and Muriel O'Rourke (C Coy) and Vic Hamlin (C Coy); and after the Ceremony, they adjourned to the local R.S.L. Club.

At the recent Annual Meeting of the R.S.L. Terry was re-elected Hon. Sec., while Muriel was re-elected President of the Ladies' Auxiliary for the 13th term. In closing, Terry mentioned that Vic Hamlin had just departed on an Island Cruise,which was taking in New Guinea etc.

Quite a few of our members seem to be indulging in Overseas Trips and when sending in a few years Subs, Fred Bladwell (HQ Coy) advised a recent trip by Grace and himself. Fred wrote:

"We left Sydney on 16th December for London and whilst away we also had approx five days in each of the following places: Athens, Rome, Paris and Madrid, with the balance in London. 'Tis a marvellous City in our opinion and I wish I could live there for a while. We only had 6 weeks, and one could spend 6 months and still only scratch the surface of all the wonderful places to go. Terrific theatres, lovely old Pubs and such, and about the worst booze you could ever imagine." .

"We spent a week in Singapore on the way home and enjoyed it very much. A business friend placed an air-conditioned car and driver at our disposal for a days tour of the Island, and we certainly made the most of it. Just about all the old familiar places are unrecognisable. Bukit Timah Hill is overgrown with weeds and has a Radio Transmitting mast on top. Changi Village is to be demolished and a large Park and Recreation Area is to be developed. The Causeway Area is a hive of industry, with roads everywhere. Kranji is a marvellous tribute, and wonderfully maintained - we could talk of it for a good long time."

"Singapore. itself is the "biggest going" City one could imagine. The Schools have two sessions daily - 6.30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 1.30 p.m. to 7.00 p.m., and the kids all looked clean, fit and really alive. The harbour development is amazing, what with wharf container structures going flat out - one container wharf costing 130 million Straits dollars. More high-rise flats than one could find in Sydney, and still reclaiming swamp lands and building Government Flats on the sites."

"We had dinner at the Singapore Golf Club and attended the races at Bukit Timah and, believe it or not, backed a couple of winners (ridden by Melbourne Jockey, Jim Johnson). We spent a short time over in Johore, and enjoyed the whole trip wonderfully."

Elsie had to send in Ray Reeves' (HQ Coy) Subs from Armidale - we probably wouldn't have got them otherwise - and she managed to squeeze in enough time between getting Kerry Anne ready for School to advise that they are all well, though Ray is awaiting Repat's pleasure to have a terisiam removed from his eye. Their daughter, Patricia, has doubled the Reeves' entry in the Grandpa Stakes by producing a girl, to make a pigeon pair.

As usual, Ken Forward (C Coy) was in one hell of a hurry when sending in a couple of years Subs, but he did mention that they were all well and that he and Mollie expected to be able to announce the arrival of another grandchild about May next.

Possibly shamed by the fact that Mollie had to advise their new address, Ross Madden (A Coy) actually put pen to paper and sent in his Subs plus from Armidale. He advised that all appeared to be well with the Armidale contingent and, due no doubt to a visit from Ron Gibbs and Snow Evans (both of whom left us before we sailed) he got to enquiring about Curly Gill (C Coy) and Jack Tomsett (D Coy) who both come from the Orange District, but with whom we are out of touch as they have not joined the Association. That provides an excellent opportunity for Joe Field and Arthur Piper to track them down and rope them back into the Association Family.

Helen Kennedy couldn't get Tom (C Coy) to do the right thing, so she fined him quite a bit and sent in his Subs plus from Newcastle. Being a busy girl, she didn't have much time to spare, but mentioned that Roy King (B Coy) went for a visit to Singapore in January, and that their 16 grandchildren were all fighting fit. (Tom and Helen are well in the "under 60's", and though some of our "Oldies" like Les Hall, Len Lansdown and Jimmy Webster can run to great-grandchildren, until someone can produce evidence of more than 16, I am prepared to place the Kennedys as top in the Grandpa Stakes. I await news of any challengers - Ed. )

Ray Godbolt (D Coy) didn't have to worry about Subs, as he was well in advance, but when he made enquiries about a Repat. matter we learned that his legs are playing up and he is not only unable to do any heavy work, but he finds it difficult walking to and from work. Otherwise, things are not too bad with him.

After a bit of prodding, Joe Field (HQ Coy) of Orange came good with some news when sending in his Subs to cover him for quite a few years.

It appears that Joe and Mavis have two children, both married. Their son lives in W.A., and the daughter in Newcastle, and between them they have produced four grandsons to qualify the Fields for the Grandpa Stakes.

Joe works as a Sales Rep. for the Golden Gate Flour Mill at Gulgong, with a territory extending from Tamworth in the North to Grenfell in the South, so he does up to 1,000 miles per week covering his customers.

As they reckon they have plenty of room to spare, the Fields would love to do their best to entertain any of the boys going through Orange.

Levine Grace sent in Ian's ( Coy) Subs, and corrected the List of Members, which had Ian posted to B Coy. She mentioned that Ian had not been the best of late and probably would require another spell in Hospital, though he managed to keep his chin up. Levine, an ex-A.W.A.S., also has her disabilities, and although she feels that if you boiled down her and Ian you would not get a decent pot of glue, there is apparently still a kick or two left in the old war horses, and they can both manage to raise a smile now and then.

It was only a metter of getting him to find sufficient time to put pen to paper, as a fellow Editor like Blair Taylor (C Coy) knows how necessary those news items are.

On the personal side, Blair advised that he has now been married just over 25 years to June, who was a girl friend of Clover Wilson and whom he met through introduction by Doc - strangely enough, Blair still thinks that Doc did him a good turn. June and Blair have three children - two girls who are married, and have so far produced one qualifying entry in the Grandpa Stakes and a seven year old son, who gives them additional grey hairs, but also helps to keep them going.

The Taylors moved to Canberra in 1957, on Blair's promotion to the Head Office from the Taxation Office in Sydney, and he is currently Executive Officer, and 2 I/C of the Income Tax Branch of Head Office. (All members please note: If you are fiddling your Income Tax Returns, please don't get caught, and cause any embarrassment to Blair - Ed.)

Since arriving in Canberra, Blair has interested himself in R.S.L. affairs, largely with the Woden Valley (West Canberra) Sub-Branch, during which time he has served in just about every position in the Sub-Branch, including Welfare Officer, State Delegate, 3 years as Treasurer, 5 years as Secretary and the last 3 years as President. (It is little wonder that Blair had Life Membership of the R.S.L. conferred upon him last year Ed) During these activities, Blair has also been Editor of the Sub Branch Magazine since its inception 11 years ago, and he has had the pleasure of seeing the Sub-Branch grow to the largest in the A.C.T., with its own building. So Blair has been, and is, quite a busy boy.

He had some nice things to say about MAKAN and the List of Members, and though he sees a bit of Harry Holden (B Coy) - as a result of the latter's activities in Cooma R.S.L. affairs and he recently saw Ron Stoner (B Coy) who was visiting brother Frank (who happens to be Welfare Officer of the Woden Valley Sub-Branch) he hasn't had much opportunity to contact very many others of his old mates.

Blair enclosed a couple of poems - one by an anonymous soldier in Changi, following that infamous incident when some of our chaps who were caught outside the wire were executed by the Jap (or rather Indian) Firing Squad; and the other was written by Blair at Kobe House P.O.W. Camp, Japan, during a long Winter night in February, 1944. The poems will be published in future issues of MAKAN.


The organisers have advised that when they picked on 15th April, they had not realised that as Easter Sunday falls on 22nd April, the day they selected will be reserved by most Clubs as Anzac Sunday. They have accordingly cancelled that date, and it is now proposed to hold the Bowls Afternoon on

Sunday, 20th May, 1973.

All other particulars remain the same as advised in the Jan/Feb issue of MAKAN:

PLACE: Rydalmere Central Bowling Club.
DATE: Sunday, 20th May, 1973 from 1.30 p.m.
PHONES: Jack Maclay or Kevin Ward

If you intend to be there.


While the response to the Circulars, generally speaking, has been good, 12% of the members have not heeded the plea, and their Subs for 1973 are still outstanding.

This causes us considerable embarrassment, as it renders us unable to comply with P.M.G. Regulations; and makes us liable to have cancelled our Registration for Posting as a Periodical, at the very much reduced rate of 1 per article.

Further reminders are forwarded with this MAKAN, to those concerned, and they are asked to give the matter their urgent attention. While such a step is naturally regretted, failure to respond promptly will have to be taken as an indication that the member concerned no longer desires to receive MAKAN, and our Membership and Circulation figures will have to be adjusted accordingly. This is a drastic step which will cause further embarrassment and concern.

Back to 1973 index or Main Index