Back to 1973 index or Main Index

Makan No. 206
Jan/Feb, 1973


Subscription Rate: $1.50 per Year

Registered for Posting as Periodical: Category A




The weather was kind to us and a beautiful sunny day prevailed for our annual Gemas Day Commemoration, held at our Memorial at H.Q. 17 R.N.S.W.R. at Pymble on 14th January last, when 41 members of the Battalion and approximately 60 Next-of-Kin, wives, children and friends gathered for the Service.

This year, our Battalion Piper, Jim Webster came down from Newcastle and joined two Pipers and a Drummer from the Regiment to provide a most impressive musical setting for the Ceremony. The Catafalque Party, Bugler and Flag Detail marched on to their Regimental March and there was almost a trace of an elastic step of former years as the Battalion members took up their positions to the strains of B.J.'s old Regimental March, "The Nut Brown Maiden". Official wreaths from the Association, 17 R.N.S.W.R. and the Purple and Gold Club, and other floral tributes, were placed to the strains of a very touching lament; and the recitation of The Ode and the rendering of "Amazing Grace" by Jim Webster brought to a close a simple, dignified and most impressive Ceremony, when we remembered as a Family all those who did not return, and those who have since answered the Last Call.

While it is not possible to mention by name all those who attended, we were delighted to have with us an old friend of our late Patron, Mr. Jim Greenwood, O.B.E., of the Repatriation Commission, Canberra and his wife, and Major Ken Mallinson, E.D., his wife and family. Major Mallinson, it will be recalled, played a large part in the recovery of the concrete cylinder which forms the focal point of the Memorial. Amongst our Long Distance Runners were noticed Terry and Muriel O'Rourke from Narrandera, Stewart and Ruth Blow from Berry, Andy Hyslop and his son-in-law from Umina Beach and an Illawarra Contingent comprising Alan and Yvonne Charlton, Graham and Lyn McLeod, Wally and Angela Scott and Kevin and Dorothy Ward, and their families. Kevin and Dorothy are included, as they were holidaying on the Illawarra and made the trip specially to be with us on that day.

As O.I.C. tea and coffee making and distribution, Sid Musgrove used the power conferred upon him to co-opt, and did an excellent job; while the request for Groups to bring a "little something" for afternoon tea produced an over-abundance of delightful food, far beyond the capacity of the assembly to consume. However, our friends from the Regiment undertook to dispose of the surplus. Once again it was a truly delightful Family Gathering, and was thoroughly enjoyed by all those attending.

Our sincere thanks and appreciation are extended to Colonel Southwell (C.O. 17 R.N.S.W.R., who was away on leave, but made the trip back to be with us); Major Faulks (2 I/C) Capt. Cook (O.C. A Coy) Capt. Anderson (Adjt); R.Q.M.S. Youl, and the personnel comprising the Catafalque Party, Pipers and Drummer, Flag Detail, Bugler, and the other details; not forgetting our own Jim Webster who came down from Newcastle; all of whom contributed so much to the success of a most impressive and enjoyable Day of Commemoration.


Mrs. Marguerite Jenkins, the stalwart of the Purple and Gold Club, has sent in the following report:

The Purple and Gold Club held their Christmas Party on December 14th at the Indian Tea Centre. Mrs. George Ramsay was Guest of Honour and was presented with a small table decoration - a small gold vase filled with purples and gold everlasting flowers.

A cake iced with the Battalion Colours was the gift of Colonel George Ramsay.

Apologies were received from Lady Galleghan (who was away from Sydney at that time), Mesdames Ellis, Boss, Musgrave, Thorburn, Johnston and Morrison. Telegrams of good wishes came from The Patron, President and Members of the 2/30th Battalion, and from Val Friend (widow of Reg Friend).

Attending were Mesdames Hendy, Lamble, M. Mitchell, W. Mitchell, Parrish, Hale, Grossmith, Wallis, Nossiter, Purvis, Parkes, Collett, Collison, O'Neill, Pryde and Pope. Marguerite Jenkins was Hostess, and presented each guest with a coat-hanger.

A card, signed by all those present, was sent to Lady Galleghan.

Our Social Reporter was at the gathering, and also furnished a report confirming the preceding, and included:

We were all most appreciative of the organisation of Mrs. Jenkins in arranging the function, and of the very attractive coat hanger which she made for each of the ladies attending - the ticket tied on with purple and gold ribbon.

The absence through sickness of Bessie Ellis and Cecilie Boss was regretted, and we all wish them a speedy return to good health.

Mrs. Hendy attended to the financial side of the function in a very quiet and efficient manner.


Noel Johnston handed in a copy of the Annual Report and Balance Sheet for the Year ended 31st December, 1949, which contained a list of all Members of the Association at that date.

Membership then stood at 248, and of those listed, 52 are recorded with us as having Passed On, and, from the fact that a further 57 are no longer Members of the Association and we do not have any current address, it could well be that many of those have also answered the Last Call. The remaining 139 of the 1949 Membership List have since been joined by a further net 219 Members and 70 Next-of-Kin, giving us a total of 428 just 23 years later.

When it is considered that only 739 returned to Australia a little over 27 years ago, and deaths since that date have probably totalled closer to 200 than 150, our active Membership at the present time is probably fairly good; but we would like to see all those, not currently Members of the Association, persuaded to rejoin the Family.

During 1949, our late Patron, B. J., was Overseas as Head of the Australian Military Mission in Germany; 100 attended the previous Annual General Meeting; 190 Members and 8th Division friends attended the Fourth Annual Reunion; and 227 attended the Fourth Annual Ball, which was held at the Dungowan. On 25th February of that year, Members of the Unit entertained Next-of-Kin at the Savarin Restaurant at a buffet supper. We quote:

"Tried as an experiment, it was an unqualified success.....Much of the credit for the organisation of the function is due to Mrs. Hendy, who spared no efforts to make the night the success it was."

1949 also saw the completion of the publication and delivery of the Unit History, "Galleghan's Greyhounds", at a sale price of 1.1.0 ($2.10) per copy; and involving the Association in a total loss of $200 on the venture. Special thanks were recorded to Mr. W. Clayton Snr (on whom was conferred Honorary Life Membership, and who has since answered the Last Call) who had the 500 copies of the History wrapped, addressed and posted by his Firm; with those to Sydney addressed being delivered by his delivery wagons.

In response to queries as to why only 500 copies were printed, and there are now none available for sale, we quote from the Report:

"The decision to order 500 copies was taken after a lot of discussion by the Committee. 1,100 Circulars were sent to Next-of-Kin and Members, and after six months only 250 copies had been ordered. The number of 500 copies was the minimum number which could be ordered, and it was thought that even with this number, there would be lots of copies unsold."

The Report also recorded the issue of a monthly newsletter, "Makan", throughout the year.


We got off to a reasonably good start for 1973, with 146 receipts being issued and despatched with the Christmas MAKAN to those who had paid their Subs in advance. In fact, there ought to have been 147, as it has since transpired that one of our Executive received a Circular requesting payment, when he had actually paid specifically for 1973 in advance, as well as including a donation with his remittance in 1972.

While admitting to his frailties, and sincerely hoping that he has not insulted any other Members, your Chief Correspondent can only request that any of you who feel they have suffered a similar fate should let him know immediately, so that the matter can be corrected.

However, your C.C. is pretty confident that things are now on the up and up, as he shamefacedly admits that when attempting to balance Subs in Advance on individual Membership Cards with the end-of-the-year total in his records, he was a bit out and had just about worn himself to a frazzle trying to locate the error when our Member brought it to his notice. So please do not upset the tranquillity of the C.C.'s home by finding any more errors.

Of the remaining Members, all of whom received a Circular re Subs, 105 have toed the line to date; and receipts to them, and further reminders to those who have not so far responded are enclosed with this issue.

In order to comply with Postal Regulations governing our Registration, and even if only to stop his bleating, or prevent him from wasting space in MAKAN, which might otherwise be used for items of news value, will all those who receive a Circular from the Chief Correspondent with this issue please heed the plea, and send in their Subs?

Incidentally, the Chief Correspondent has at least been gracious enough to extend his sincere thanks and appreciation to all those who have responded promptly.


Under the title "A Nightingale Sang", the Sydney "Sun" of 19th Dec., 1972 carried an article by a Mr. Tony Clive, which had previously appeared in the Christmas "Bulletin" of the Bank of New South Wales Sub-Branch, R.S.L. of 1st Dec., 1972.

The Parable originated at the 26 Kilo Camp on "A" Force on Christmas Eve, 1942, and since its author was our own Patron, Gentleman George, MAKAN obtained the facts from him; and we quote from his personal notes, written in Bangkok on 24th Sept, 1945, in response to a request for a copy of the text:

"The brigadier commanding "A" Force had passed through this Camp (26 Kilo Peg) immediately prior to my arrival to take over as Senior Allied Officer there, and had ordered the use of a secret radio set to be discontinued, in view of the certain torture or death, or both, that would be meted out to all those directly or indirectly connected with its operation, should it be discovered.

"From experience in previous Camps, however, I knew that the only really effective check to the detrimental effect on the morale of all ranks caused by the untraceable, wild and unfounded rumours which constantly circulated would be the receipt of authentic news, however meagre.

"I therefore, at the earnest request of those prepared to operate the set, agreed to its continuance, but at this early stage (we became more expert later) it was essential that all Ps.O.W. who were to benefit by the service should thoroughly understand the very real danger to which those responsible were exposing themselves, in order that the risks be in no way increased unnecessarily by idle curiosity as to the whereabouts of the set.

"Although I have a vivid recollection of the occasion, I did not commit my talk to paper at the time, but have endeavoured to reproduce it as faithfully as I can remember.

"I had obtained permission from the Japs, at the request of Padre Mathieson, for him to hold an evening "Fiery Cross" service for the whole camp on Christmas Eve, and I decided to take advantage of this gathering so that I could be sure that all troops got the same message at the same time, in order to avoid confusion, that could be caused by some hearing it before others, by less direct channels through their Coy and Platoon Commanders."

Copy of the text of the address, made at the same time, was appended to the notes, and reads:

I have assembled you here this evening to give you a message of good cheer despite the conditions in which we find ourselves, but first of all I want to give you a message of different sort which closely affects every one of you. In this season of the year it is quite fitting that I should talk to you in the form of a parable, but there is one more potent factor which makes this necessary, and that is the presence amongst us this evening of guests of type and race that are not normally included in our list of invitations to our festive gatherings.

I understand that you have been in the habit of hearing a little bird singing in this camp, but that, coinciding with my arrival to take command here, its song was no longer heard. I am given to understand that this is attributed to me, but I can assure you that is not the case. I do not think my friends would recognise in me one who has any particular influence with our little feathered friends, but I think in this instance I may be able to assist the bird of whom you are so fond, to sing once more.

This, however, is dependent upon certain conditions, the first of which is that this bird, which sings with a clear, true note, is very timid, and any attempt on the part of any one of you to locate its nest may cause it to cease singing altogether. Any discussion of the tune it sings may also have the same result.

The bird I refer to is a nightingale, and must not be confused with the note of another bird which is of Australian origin, named the lyre bird.. This may not be spelt the same way but it has the same meaning. As you know, it is a mimic and reproduces anything it might hear, whether there is any foundation for it or not. If there is any doubt in your mind at any time as to whether the song you hear is from the nightingale or the lyre bird, any one of your officers - who are all keen bird lovers - will be able to set you right. If you observe these conditions rigidly, and do not go on any bird-nesting expeditions, I feel confident that the results will be to everyone's satisfaction.

Upon an evening such as this Christmas Eve our hearts go out to our dear ones at home, and we can only hope and trust that this will be the last Christmas in which we find ourselves in such a position. I know that your spirit is such that it does not sound so ludicrous as it might appear when I wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Footnote: The nightingale was of course a wireless set, which in this particular case was housed in an Army water bottle, with a division just below the top so that some water could be carried in the bottle in case of an inspection. It is reported to have operated for some considerable time in that location, until the Japs took to concentrating on searches of water bottles, when it was transferred to a wooden stool; and was quite often transported from camp to camp with a Jap Guard sitting on it. It was finally disposed of, in about 1944, when the group moved to a camp in Thailand, adjacent to an English camp where a nightingale was already in residence.


Kevin Ward reports the state as at 26th January:

In R.G.H., Concord:
Jim Saunderson (B Coy)

In Wollongong District Hospital:
Alan Charlton (HQ Coy)

In Other Institutions:
Harry Law (A Coy)

Discharged from R.G.H. Concord since last MAKAN:

Harry Abrahams (A Coy), Jack Bremner (HQ Coy), Jack Goodwin (HQ Coy), Les Melrose (HQ Coy), Phil Higgins (A Coy) - transferred to Lady Davidson, Turramurra and discharged from there.

The Editor's request for Dudley Bushby (B Coy) to let us have some news of himself had remained unanswered, even though he sent a remittance out from France to cover Subs etc, but in a letter to Lady Galleghan (the substance of which she was kind enough to pass on) Dudley explained the reason for lack of correspondence over the past twelve months. He busted his right hand, and a few broken fingers made writing somewhat difficult.

He recounted an incident which occurred one evening in a Pub in Nice, when he was wearing his Association Badge and a Kiwi type recognised it and associated it with B.J. As a result of subsequent conversation, Dudley was offered a job as local representative of a rather substantial financial group in London, all of which has given him entree into V.I.P. circles in his neighbourhood, with whom he hopes to do business.

He sent his Seasonal greetings to all the boys, and mentioned particularly Des Duffy, Ron Stoner, Bill Douglas and Arch Thorburn. He also promised to write to the Editor early in 1973.

On 18th December last, Bruce Ford and Harry Head were guests of the 30th Battalion Association at their Annual Dinner, which was held at the Forbes Tavern.

As may be expected, the ranks of the original Bn. of W.W.1 are thinning, and the numbers present were not large, but the two youngsters from the 2/30th Bn. were enthusiastically welcomed, and our offer to make space available in MAKAN for news, items of interest to them, and to accept them as Subscribers to MAKAN was accepted with appreciative thanks.

Liaison with our W.W.1 counterpart has occupied our thoughts of late, and it is something which should have been done many ages ago. While we understand that there are probably only a little over 60 of their numbers remaining, we must admit to that being a pretty good effort - how many of us will be on deck at a comparable time - in 1997?

Our Illawarra Correspondent made contact with his namesake, Zipper Charlton (B Coy), and was good enough to pass on some information about him. Since his return, Zipper has worked in the Railway Dept., and threatens to take his 12 months Long Service Leave in about 4 years time, and retire to some place up North, where he will relax and spend a lot of time fishing. It appears that Zipper and Darcy Pickard (B Coy) spend a fair bit of time fishing, even to the point of taking a holiday together each year at the Sandon River - up past Grafton - where the fishing is very good. Zipper's qualifying entry in the Grandpa Stakes is 5 grandsons and 5 granddaughters, which puts him well in the running; though not quite as well as Les Hall (HQ Coy) who recently announced the arrival of a third great grandchild.

Jack Fell (B Coy) didn't have to worry about Subs, as he was well in advance, but he pounded the typewriter to call a couple of amusing incidents to mind.

The first concerned J.L. (Butch) Langley (B Coy) who was never a fitness fanatic and used to fall further behind at each stop on those marathon hikes we did at Bathurst. At the last stop before Camp, one day, everyone was resting back on his pack when Butch came striding through the mob, and didn't stop.. The Platoon Commander Stinker (later Capt. Bill Jones) asked him where he was going, and Butch tersely replied: "Back to Camp. You b..s didn't wait for me, and I'm not waiting for you."

The second concerned Terry Trevor (B Coy) who shortly after his return was working in the Ladies' Shoe Department at Farmers. When Jack met him in the Street one day and suggested a drink, Terry agreed, but led him into the State Milk Bar instead of the nearby Roberts Hotel. In explanation, Terry advised that he was serving a customer who couldn't make up her mind, so he had given her a large selection of shoes, and requested her to try and make up her mind while he went out for a drink.

Jack and Vera thoroughly enjoyed Tamworth 8 Div Reunion, and also the Grafton Ex-P.O.W. Reunion in November. They had a leisurely trip home from Grafton, and included a few hours with Jack and Una Clune (A Coy) at Old Bar. They repeat their invitation for any of the boys passing through, or visiting the adjacent wineries, to call and see them. The 'phone No. in our List is at the home, and the Bowling Club No. is Cess. 90 1046.
Margaret Hickson (Widow of Brian - D Coy) also didn't have to worry about any Subs, but she wrote in and enclosed a photo of 18 Platoon taken in front of their hut on which the name "Ding Dong Downs" appears. As an original 18 Platooner, your Editor was interested to see the remarkably handsome bunch of young men portrayed. The photo is in first class condition, and could easily be reproduced, so if any of the 18 Platooners get a bit nostalgic, let the Editor know, when arrangements could possibly be made to produce some copies.

Margaret does a couple of days a week in a voluntary capacity in the Transport Section at Red Cross House, and might even surprise Bruce Pratt (D Coy) at Bathurst by calling in on her way through to Parkes to visit son, Brian, who is married and lives there.

It took a long while to get Jack Graham (D Coy) to put pen to paper, but he finally did so, even though briefly. He sent in enough from Grafton to keep him from worrying about Subs for a while, and added to his note the information that he has just been made President of the South Grafton Ex-Servicemen's Bowling Club where, as he put it, with the help of a couple of good bowlers, he recently won the Open Pairs Championship as well as the Triples.

Jacko (W.R.) Jackson (B Coy) sent in his Subs at the end of December and was moaning about having broken the fourth finger on his right hand when he omitted to remove it before slamming the car door. However, it didn't seem to have any ill effects on his golf, as he proceeded to win a 9 hole chicken run at Randwick Golf Club and to collect a bit of loot from his fellow competitors; one of whom, the lass who marked his card, asked very sweetly why he hadn't broken his neck instead of his finger. The finger had also healed sufficiently to allow him to be co-opted by Sid Musgrove (D Coy) for tea making at Pymble on Gemas Commemoration Day.

Steve Kirton (HQ Coy) bunged a Canadian Currency note in with his letter from Vancouver which, when converted to Australian currency gave us a bit of a surplus over his Sub.

Steve has suggested the establishment of a slide and film library of general interest, for showing amongst the boys. He would be prepared to send out quite a bit about Canada, and quoted as an example, Winter fishing. It appears that you can drive your car on to a frozen lake, erect a light shack with a heater and bunks in it, dig a hole in the floor and drop your line through it. Any fish you catch keep perfectly fresh just lying around the floor.

Canada appears to be pretty cold around Christmas time: tyres freeze, and you travel with a flat spot until they thaw out. Oil freezes, so you have to have an electric heater in the sump. In some parts they even blow up a big balloon and heat the interior for so that they can carry on with their jobs. All machinery inside it is run on either electricity or propane, and the hot air generated inside keeps the snow melted from the top of the balloon. They even drive the semi-trailers loaded with logs out onto the frozen lakes and rivers, unload the logs onto the ice, and the logs float down to their destination when the thaw sets in, in the Springtime.

Although a lot of people are out of work during the Winter, a married man collects about $100 a week unemployment benefits, (Maybe this Canada place of Steve's is, pretty good in various respects - and Steve is a pretty good P.R. man on its beauties and advantages - but at least we don't have to dig holes in the ice to go fishing in the Winter time - Ed.)

Steve sent Seasonal Greetings to all, and repeated his request for anyone to look him up should a visit to Canada be on their Overseas trip.

Danny Foran (C Coy) sent Seasonal Greetings to all from Cairns, where he reckoned it had been hot and dry for some time past. He enclosed enough to keep him from worrying about Subs for a couple of years.

Alice Larkin (widow of Stan - B Coy and sister of George Lister - B Coy) wrote in from Evans Head to send Seasonal Greetings and bring us up to date with the news. Brother George and his wife, Nessie, spent Christmas Day with the Larkin's, and Alice mentioned that George's eldest son, Bill, turned 21 on 21st Dec last, and is to be married in March next to a lass from Kingston, South Australia. Bill is in the R.A.A.F., and is stationed at Melbourne. Alice's son, Jeff, has been the local Postman over the School Holidays, and does his final year at High School this year.

Incidentally, another brother, John Lister will be visiting in Singapore in April next with another couple. They will only be there for about three days and would like to see as much as is possible of the old haunts about which George has talked. Unfortunately, a very good contact we had is indisposed at present, so, should anyone have any contacts there, a note to the Editor, with the desired information, would be appreciated.

Molly Madden wrote in from Armidale to advise change of address for her and Ross (A Coy) after 23 years in the Brown St. Home. Since Bill Humphrey (HQ Coy) and his gang have just about completed a block of 4 - 2 storey flats on the old home site, it looks as though the Maddens had to move, or run the risk of being bricked up in the new flats.

Eldest daughter, Helen, was married last June, and is on a property 68 miles S.E. of Armidale; and youngest daughter, Judith, got itchy feet after 23 years in the local branch, and is now based in Sydney on the Relieving Staff of the A.N.Z. Bank.

The Maddens recently had Ben and Millie Pearce (D Coy) blow in on them, on their way home to Sawtell after a holiday at Gosford, and both are well. They also heard recently from Vince and Gwen O'Reilly (A Coy) from Broadbeach, who advised that their daughter, Janelle, was loving her trip to the U.K., as well as a Scotsman whom she had met - seeing that she married one of the Ross Clan, Molly reckons Janelle's choice is not such a bad one. Bob and Thelma Gibbs (A Coy) were also expected to call in when they popped over from Turrawan on a short visit to Armidale. Bob was a bit off colour recently, necessitating a couple of weeks in Hospital, but is on the up and up again.

Our Far North Coast Correspondent, Harry Riches (HQ Coy) came good with his Subs before the end of last year and included his usual bulletin. He had been over to Kyogle to see Carl Odgers (HQ Coy) and though Carl is very bright, he is far from 100%, and spends quite a lot of time in Hospital. The only time he can get around is when his daughter, Margaret, comes over from Warialda, as she is Matron of the Hospital there and can give him the necessary injections when he has a bad turn.

Harry recently had a visit from Steve Allardice (HQ Coy) on his way up North, while Jock Logan (D Coy) popped in from the Gold Coast, looking very fit and affirming that he did a lot of running in order to keep that way. Harry naturally sees quite a bit of the local lads, including Ernie Stratford (D Coy), who was then flat out with his bananas, Ossie Jackson (D Coy) and Ernie McNiven (A Coy); all of whom are well. Martie Wallwork (HQ Coy) had a few days in Hospital recently, but is back on the job again.

Unfortunately for Harry, the owner of the Murray Grey Stud, where Harry had a job entirely to his liking, bought a property at Glen Innes and has moved the Stud from Byron Bay to that centre. Harry moved the cattle up there and stayed for a few weeks until they got established. He will also go there for a month, to get the cattle ready for a big reduction sale in February, but Glen Innes is a bit far for Harry to commute from Brunswick Heads; and it looks as though the Stud job has wound up.

Harry reckons he is as fit as one of those Murray Grey bulls, and Dot, though not exactly 100% at times, is keeping fairly well. They sent Seasonal Greetings to all.

Wonders will never cease! Andy Knox (C Coy) actually put pen to paper, when sending in enough Subs to keep him out of trouble for a few years; and that is not such a bad effort, as Andy's fingers are a bit twisted these days, and writing is not easy. Andy has his ups and downs, but cheerfully reckons that he has more good days than bad ones.

Andy and Freda recently had a holiday, at Coolangatta, and while there caught up with Tom Grant (C Coy), whom he hadn't seen for quite a few years - their chins wagged long into the night.

Alex Campbell (BHQ), with Gwenyth and two of their three sons, was holidaying down at Mornington (on Port Phillip Bay, Vic.) when he sent in enough Subs to also keep him out of trouble for a while.

A brief note on the accompanying card (a view of Mornington, which brought a touch of nostalgia to your Scribe) concluded with: "The flathead fishing on the Bay has been most profitable and enjoyable. Ross (24) our eldest, was married a month ago to a lovely girl, Joselyn. He returned last year from two years in Germany, where he taught in Secondary Schools, and is at present teaching French, German and Indonesian at the Sydney Grammar. Andrew (22) is at de Havillands, doing Jet Engineering. Graham (19) is at Bathurst Teachers College."

George Michell (B Coy) started the letter, but Shirley finished it, as George, who was already in Hospital, had another bad heart attack. However, Shirley said that he was O.K. next day. A clipping from the "West Australian" was enclosed - a sort of sequel to that advised in last issue of MAKAN, and it certainly warrants reproduction:

"Eighteen year old Ray Michell is long, lean and left handed; and he is the most outstanding pitching prospect seen in Australian baseball for many years, according to W.A. Coach, Rod Byrne. Michell represented W.A. for the first time in the Australian Baseball Championship series, and was chosen in the Australian Team to play in the Philippines in March.

"Michell walked to the mound for the first time in the sixth innings of the first game against Queensland on the opening day. The Wembley left hander astounded his coach, Byrne, when he hit the spot with his first pitch, with perfect control.

"W.A. were floundering against the pitching of Queenslander youngster, Alan Albury (19), until Michell batted for the first time, in the sixth innings, and clipped a hit to left field. Michell batted eight times during the series for his two hits and one sacrifice bunt. He scored three runs and was struck out once. His batting average was .250.

"Michell's pitching record included pitching to 92 batters in three games. In 20 2/3 innings, he had four strike outs, 19 hits, 12 walks, hit one batter and conceded three earned runs. Michell had a perfect fielding record in the championships when he assisted in 12 put outs and made no errors."

Now, does anyone wonder why George and Shirley are quite a bit proud of their son, Ray. May we add our congratulations?

Response to the request on Circulars re Subs for some items of news has been reasonably good, and it is hoped that all those who did the right thing will appreciate that your Editor/Chief Correspondent finds it almost impossible to answer every one by letter.

Will you all accordingly please accept his thanks for your efforts, acknowledgment of which is recorded by enclosing our official receipt with this issue and/or inclusion of the news item in this, or subsequent issues of MAKAN. Since most of the correspondence is received within a few weeks, the Editor trusts that all will appreciate that it would be quite impractical to publish all the items in one issue, leaving subsequent issues virtually starved of news; while the size of such an issue would be a little beyond the Editor's capabilities to produce.

Please, therefore, do not be disappointed if you receive a receipt with this issue, but no mention of your item in the News Columns - you may be assured that it will appear in a subsequent MAKAN. Similarly, with postage at 7 per article, the practice has been adopted of sending official receipts out with MAKAN, which means that if your remittance is received just after a MAKAN has been despatched, it could be up to two months before you receive your next MAKAN, and your receipt.

Meanwhile, the 146 who had paid in advance and have accordingly received only a receipt for 1973, and no Circular, are asked to please put pen to paper and send in some items of news during the remaining months of 1973.



Despite the comparative lack of interest in the event conducted in April last year, the organisers are prepared to try again; and through the good offices of Jack Maclay, Rydalmere Central Bowling Club will again be the venue for this years event.

DATE: Sunday, 15th April, 1973.
TIME: Game to commence at 1.30 p.m. Numbers attending will govern the type of game to be played.
GENERAL: We have lots of keen Bowlers amongst our Members, and a good roll-up is confidently expected on this occasion. Reserve the date in your Diary NOW.
PHONES: All those interested in the event, please contact either of the organisers by 'phone: Jack Maclay or Kevin Ward.


Jack Folkard sent in a clipping from the local paper advising the holding of a meeting at Young recently and organised by Mr. Jeff Condron, Manager of Radio Station 2LF, when it had been decided to stage a reunion of all Rugby League Footballers who have played for the Maher Cup since its inception.

The reunion date has been set down as Sunday, 10th June, 1973 at Young, and the organisers advise that their major task is to obtain the names and addresses of all players who played for the Maher Cup, so that invitations can be sent out.

Apart from Max McClelland, who played Maher Cup for Grenfell, we probably have several former Group 9 players who qualify. Anyone interested, including Max, should get in touch with Mr. Jeff Condron at Radio Station 2LF or Mr. Bill Kearney Snr at Young.

Back to 1973 index or Main Index