Back to 1960 index or Main Index

Makan – No. 140
April / May, 1960


Dear Dig,

Harry Griffis writes from Macquarie Lane, that he missed out on the big fish this year while he was on his annual holidays at Taree; the weather was too mild. Harry often bumps into Bill Newton and Harold Hogan who both live at Taree. Bill keeps good health but Harold recently spent some time in Concord Hospital. Hairy tells us that our friend Fred Abbotts seems to have recovered from the heart trouble he had a couple of years ago. Ossie Jackson sends greetings to his friends from Binna Burra.

Vic Gordon and his wife wrote to Bessie Ellis just prior to Christmas that they were going for a seven weeks cruise touching at three Indonesian ports, then Singapore, Port Swettenham, Penang, back to Singapore, British Borneo, Darwin and back to Brisbane. Mrs. Gordon was very excited about the prospect of the trip and was looking forward to renewing acquaintance with Bill Jones and his wife who are now in Singapore. We would be pleased to hear from them to see if the trip was all they hoped it would be.

Arnold Ainsworth of 19 Black Street, Yarralumla, finds time to drop a note now and again to send best wishes to all his friends. Karl Sinclair of 43 Faulkner Street, Armidale, is almost back to normal now after months of ill health, brought about, in the first instance, by a bad attack of influenza which just hung on and on and on. Indeed Karl, who was never frightened of hard work, was reduced to the state in which his father-in-law, who is in his eighties, was cutting Karl's Lawn!! Karl had a daughter seven months old when the Unit left Australia and this baby is now a young lady teaching school at Ermington. He also has a boy, Jolyon, who has been in Fiji for a couple of years and who will shortly be returning to Australia with a granddaughter for Karl and his wife to play with. Karl has temporarily lost sight of Bill Humphreys who makes a living building 'squash courts' on the North Coast.

We have received a very nice letter from Clif. Mudford's mother who is living at Tinonee, Manning River. Cliff was a member of H.Q. Company and was one of those who did not return to Australia. Mrs. Mudford is now receiving the 'Makan' regularly and sends her best wishes to all in the Unit. Cec Palmer has now been in his new house at Scone for over twelve months and is getting the garden into shape at last.

We received a very interesting letter from Mrs. Jenkins, mother of our late friend 'Bernie', Mrs. Jenkins and many of the next of kin of our deceased friends still meet together regularly, the last occasion being at Christmas time, when twenty two attended. These women, who were united by a common bond during the war, are still firm friends and enjoy their regular get-togethers. Mrs. Jenkins writes that Mrs. Holman died recently; you will recall that Mrs. Holman was the mother of Trevor, who died in Burma.


All members will be saddened to hear of the accidents death of Alan Good of B. Company. Alan was killed in a car smash at Blaxland in March and was cremated at the Northern Suburbs Crematorium. Alan was very well liked in the Unit; he was a very quiet man, full of fun and a man upon whom one could depend. He was married with two children and the sympathy of all members of the Unit will go out to his family. Reg friend and other members of the Unit attended the funeral on your behalf.

Noel Johnston and Mrs. Johnston called in to see Ray Simmons recently, on their way North for a holiday. You will recall that Ray sold his business in Sydney with the object of establishing a Motel. Noel Johnston was most enthusiastic in his report of the motel which is on the main Pacific Highway, just half a mile south of Urunga. The Motel is fronting the Bellingen River, with lovely views of river and forest and the Dorrigo Plateau a few miles to the west. It includes a swimming pool and caravan park and the six overnight tents have been tastefully decorated by Mrs. Simmons. Ray has called the motel "Brigalow Park" which is the aboriginal name for wattle. This place should be a 'must' for any of our chaps who pass that way.


Once again we expect a big roll up for the Anzac Day March and for the unofficial reunion afterwards. It is a great privilege to be eligible to march on Anzac Day and follow the traditions of our fathers who showed the world that Australians can take their place with any soldiers in the world. The Governor himself, the 'Number One' citizen of N.S.W. marches on Anzac Day and his example should be enough to ensure that every member of our Unit, who can possibly be in Sydney on that day attend the march. The Unit will be led, as usual by our own Black Jack. The 'Old Man' year after year receives invitations to attend Anzac Day functions in other parts of the State, but he regards it as an honour to march on Anzac Day at the head of the men who earned him his D.S.O.

Stewart Blow will come from Berry to carry the banner. The selection of the standard bearer of the Unit is made with great care by the Committee and Stewart was unanimously voted as the choice for the job this years, After the March members are requested to assemble at the Rawson Hotel in George Street, near Haymarket, where a private bar will be available to us during the day. This will be the third year we have had the use of this hotel and it makes for a most enjoyable day.

Fresh sandwiches will be provided, without charge, per favour of Harry Collins wife, Betty, whose efforts in this regard have made all the difference to our enjoyment of the past two Anzac Days. It is very pleasant to sit at ease with a nice glass of beer, some tasty sandwiches and your own friends. The Committee expect a maximum crowd as usual.


The Committee give you a preliminary notice that the Annual General Meeting of the Association will be held at the Southern Inn, Dixon St, on Friday 13th May. The Inn is Chinese and is under new management. Meals will be available prior to the meeting and will be by individual order. Refreshment may also be purchased by those who like a cold glass. An Annual Report will be posted to you prior to the meeting.


The second Annual Picnic was held at Lane Cove National Park oh Sunday 5th March, The weather was perfect and about one hundred and thirty children attended with their parents. New faces appeared including Don Devey who joined the Association and will be attending Unit functions in future. Don was a popular man in the unit and was welcomed by all who were there. Since the war he has worked too hard and still has his nose to the grindstone to the exclusion of any free time. He feels like slowing down a little now and some of the boys have suggested that he may be stopped completely, for a short period, on Anzac Day.

Derek and Mrs. Smith and four children came all the way from Bargo by public transport, whilst Stewart and Mrs. Blow travelled up from Berry. Johnny and Mrs. Parsons and children were welcome visitors. Johnny has recently recovered from a very bad accident in which he suffered a fractured chest when his Volkswagen panel van tried to shift a tree from the side of a road. He is well again now and is reaping the benefit of the hard work he has put into his General Store at Como.

Snowy Stevens’ Mother and Father were at the picnic and enjoyed the days outing. Jack Brooks and family of four children came along. Jack has moved from Goulburn to the Coast, to the great joy of his family who love the swimming. George Croft arrived with his son Laurie and others sighted were Vince Leonard, Bob Wright, Hank Massie, Wally Scott, Steve Allardice, Andy Noble, Frank Purvis and their respective wives. Mick Lovell was the biggest man there and perhaps the fittest.

The kids enjoyed every minute of the day particularly the races in which their Mothers and Fathers competed. All the children under four years received a prize and there were lollies, ice creams and paddle-pope galore. It was a great day.

See you on Anzac Day,


Back to 1960 index or Main Index